[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Search Across Repositories and Get EAD XML - ArchivesSpace API

Mayo, Dave dave_mayo at harvard.edu
Mon Mar 9 12:35:33 EDT 2020

Hi Corey,

Splitting this into two sections – the first is a description of what’s happening and should immediately fix your current issue, the second is some advice going forward re: using ASnake.

You appear to have found a bug in the ASpace API! From what I can tell, all_ids is not actually correctly supported in ‘search/repositories’ – you’ll need to use paged access until this is fixed.  I'm going to file a ticket

There’s also a minor issue with your query – the type parameter actually takes an ARRAY of strings, not a single string – in terms of how this shows up in the URL, the request should look like:

    search/repositories?type[]="resource"&q=ms945&page=1

And then you could change page to 2 to get the next page of results, etc.

BUT, section two: advice on how to do this easily! There’s two main things:

1. Pass parameters in as an argument to the function, rather than putting them in the URL

  client.get('search/repositories', params={"q": "ms945", "page": 1, "type[]": 'resource', 'page': 1})

ASnake is based on requests, so you can find specific documentation of how params works in the requests documentation.

Additionally, ASpace is set up to automatically handle array parameters, so you can actually do this (difference is to the type parameter):

client.get('search/repositories', params={"q": "ms945", "page": 1, "type": ['resource'], 'page': 1})

2. ASnake's client also has a function specifically to handle paged routes called get_paged - so if you can do this:

    for resource_json in client.get_paged('search/repositories', params={"q": "ms945", "type": ['resource']}):
        # do something with resource JSON

Let me know if you need more help, here are some pointers to relevant docs:

https://github.com/archivesspace-labs/archivessnake#low-level-api
https://requests.readthedocs.io/en/master/user/quickstart/#passing-parameters-in-urls

--
Dave Mayo (he/him)
Senior Digital Library Software Engineer