[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Top container ranges

Mayo, Dave dave_mayo at harvard.edu
Thu Jun 18 09:22:57 EDT 2020

So, with the caveat that we put a lot of resources (a bunch of archivists’ time, a full year of a full time developer (me!)), we had very solid results; I think remediating issues prior to import is almost always worth the expense of significant effort, particularly over a large corpus.

My main advice would be to be very, very careful about changes – version your EADs, compare before and after scripts run, and in general be very systematic about how you find, report, and correct changes.

I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but Kate Bowers and I did a write-up of what we did during our migration – it has links to a number of open source tools I wrote for doing this kind of work.  They’re a bit involved to get running, but they definitely work at basically any scale out there, and I’m happy to help people get started with them.  https://journal.code4lib.org/articles/12239

--
Dave Mayo (he/him)
Senior Digital Library Software Engineer