[Archivesspace_Users_Group] PDF Export Logo Issue

Andrew Morrison andrew.morrison at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jun 5 13:28:17 EDT 2020

Anything that involves the backend, or XSL, is the code for the PDFs you
get in the staff interface.

The public user interface generates its own PDFs, by first building a
HTML document using ERB templates, just as it does for ordinary pages.
But instead of returning that it stores it as a temporary HTML file,
then converts that to a PDF file using a Java library
<https://github.com/flyingsaucerproject/flyingsaucer>. Then it sends the
PDF file to the user.

The logo is an /img/ tag with the /src/ attribute using the branding
image URL set for the repository of the resource. The HTML-to-PDF
library is effectively like a web browser running on the server, viewing
a local file, so it needs a full URL, not a path relative to the server
root. Or, if the image is hosted on another server, then there must be
nothing to block the outgoing HTTP request or returned response. Ask you
local network admins if unsure. It doesn't cache the image, so every
time a user requests a PDF, the ArchivesSpace server will download the
image from wherever you specify.

The image must be in a format supported by the HTML-to-PDF library, but
I can't find a list. Standard PNGs work.

Because it uses templates, you can override the relevant file
(_titlepage.html.erb) in a plug-in, and make it display whatever you
want (such as the logo for your whole organization, if you don't want
PDFs branded differently per repository, or no logo at all if you just
want text.) But it also contains code to add the other things on the
first page, so if you override it you might have to update it when
upgrading to a future release.

Andrew.