[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - July 2020

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri Jul 31 11:26:58 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6672D.806C9FC0]

July 2020 Update

Development

ArchivesSpace is announcing the availability of v2.8.0. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.8.0.

This release contains program-led and community pull requests that provide feature enhancements, bug fixes, infrastructure improvements, and documentation updates. Some items of note include the ability to merge top containers, new browse, search, and sort preferences in the staff interface, some improvements to search and display in the public interface, additional display and faceting options in the background jobs area, bug fixes and accessibility improvements. Developers at Harvard University contributed several new features related to containers and locations from the specification they circulated in the community last year.

Fans of the popular Harvard import plugin will be pleased to see that its functionality is now included in ArchivesSpace, courtesy of our work with the plugin’s original developer, Bobbi Fox. Please note that if you used the plugin previously you will need to disable it before starting up ArchivesSpace post-upgrade.

Thanks very much to community members Andrew Morrison, Austin Schaffer, Dave Mayo, David P. Steelman, Douglas Simon, Katie Amaral, Mark Custer, Mark Triggs, Matt Patterson, Michael Vandermillen, and Peter Heiner for their code contributions to this release. Program team members Lora Woodford and Mark Cooper wrote extensive code and supervised the work of the contractors we worked with us on this release: Bobbi Fox, Brian Zelip, Sarah Morrissey, and Manny Rodriguez. As always this release would not have been possible without the substantial efforts of our Development Prioritization sub-team, Testing sub-team, Technical Documentation sub-team, User Documentation sub-team, and Core Committers Group.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/administration/upgrading.html. Please let us know if you have any questions or need help upgrading. This is the last release where our primary technical documentation will live at https://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/. If you’d like to get a jump on things, please change your bookmarks to https://archivesspace.github.io/tech-docs/ for all updates going forward.

We want to acknowledge that these are incredibly tough times for so many of us. Even more than usual, we’ve really appreciated all that our team and community members have done to continue making ArchivesSpace better in the face of many challenges. Thanks for all your help and for letting us know how important the ArchivesSpace application and community have been to you in these times.

Register now for the 6th Annual ArchivesSpace Member Forum

There is still time to register<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1422819333/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2020> for next week’s 6th Annual ArchivesSpace Member Forum!

Just as in previous years, this will be a free opportunity for staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions to meet and share information with each other and the program team about all things ArchivesSpace.  Unlike previous years, ArchivesSpace will be holding its sixth Annual Member Forum virtually, on August 3-7, 2020, from 12pm-3pm ET each day via Zoom.

This free event is a chance for ArchivesSpace members to come together to highlight the work they are doing in ArchivesSpace, show off new plugins or tools they’ve developed, and attend workshops and trainings on a variety of topics. As with our previous Annual Member Forums, it is being held in conjunction with the Society of American Archivists annual meeting, but it is not part of SAA and does not require registration for the SAA Annual Meeting.

When:

Presentations and breakout discussions will be held on August 3-4, 2020 from 12pm-3pm ET, and all individuals from ArchivesSpace member institutions are welcome to attend some or all of the sessions on these days.  Small workshops covering specific elements of the ArchivesSpace application will be offered August 5-7, 2020 from 12pm-3pm ET.  These workshops will be limited in capacity. Registrations for each day are separate and you must register individually for all days you are interested in attending.

Where:

All online via Zoom, with opportunities to join via computer or phone.

Who Can Attend:

The ArchivesSpace Member Forum is open to individuals from ArchivesSpace member institutions only. To register, you must use an institutional email address associated with an ArchivesSpace member institution.  Registrations using personal email addresses and addresses associated with non-member institutions will not be accepted.  This means that events with limited capacity may fill before you are able to correct your registration.

Online registration:  https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1422819333/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2020
Registrations for each day of the Forum are separate. You will need to register for each day you are interested in attending to guarantee your spot. Registration for each activity is linked above the session in the agenda.  Workshop attendance is limited.
Discussion sessions on Tuesday, August 4, will occur in two separate zoom rooms.  You must register for both Zoom Room A and B if you want to attend discussions in both rooms.
The number of registrations available for the workshops on August 5-7 is limited.  The total number of attendees is noted next to the registration. To give as many people as possible a chance to attend, you may register for only one workshop.

We will be recording the sessions on August 3, 2020 but will not be recording discussions or workshops. We encourage you to dip in and out of the live programs on August 3-4, 2020 as much as you can.

Please feel free to contact ArchivesSpace Community Engagement Coordinator Jessica Crouch (jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org) with questions. We look forward to seeing many of you there!

Membership Update

As of July 31, we have 412 General members, 21 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
[page1image482511520]