[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Tools for batch updating locations in ArchivesSpace during a collections move

Bolton Kelly Doub bdoub at usc.edu
Tue Jan 7 15:20:29 EST 2020

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your feedback -- this is very helpful.

And yes, your observations re: where our barcodes exist are correct:

·         ArchivesSpace has all of our granular location info (room, row, range, shelf data), but no box barcodes

·         Our ILS has the box barcodes, but much less specific location info (basically, there is one location code that covers the whole offsite storage facility that we are moving collections from)

I think we will probably end up going with some variation of the processes that you describe in your three bulleted suggestions. I like the approach of batch creating new locations rather than trying to update the existing locations. Regarding the use of the ArchivesSpace API to re-associate all of the containers to their new locations, do you have any resources, webinars, tutorials, github repositories, etc. that you could point us to that might help us start on this process? I have seen some of the resources for batch editing barcodes in ArchivesSpace through the API <https://www2.archivists.org/groups/research-libraries-section/batch-editing-barcodes-in-archivesspace-through-the-api>, but I’m not sure if these address the re-association of containers to new locations.

To your last point, we will need to keep all of the granular locations in ArchivesSpace because of the way we use Aeon in connection with ArchivesSpace to retrieve patron requests for archival material. Though I agree with you that this project should serve as an opportunity to get all of the box barcodes into ArchivesSpace.

Thanks again for your help and please let us know about relevant API tools if you know of any.

Best,
Bo

Bo Doub
Archival Projects Librarian