[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Tools for batch updating locations in ArchivesSpace during a collections move

Bolton Kelly Doub bdoub at usc.edu
Mon Jan 6 16:00:42 EST 2020

Hi All,

At the University of Southern California, we are preparing to move a high volume of archival collections (basically the contents of an entire offsite storage building) from one offsite facility to another. We are investigating tools and methods for batch updating locations in ArchivesSpace to spare us from having to edit each location record's building, room, row, range, shelf, etc. fields individually.

One additional challenge to this task is that the capacity of each destination shelf in the new building will not necessarily match the capacity of the corresponding shelving in the old offsite storage building. In many cases, a set of boxes that shared the same shelf in the old facility will be split up into different shelves in the new facility.

Most of the boxes that are moving have unique barcodes displayed on each box. Most of these boxes also already have locations in ArchivesSpace (with building, room, row, range, and shelf values applied at the box level). However, the box barcodes are only documented in USC's ILS system (Alma/Primo). The barcodes are not documented in our instance of ArchivesSpace.

Has anyone on this list worked through a collections move under similar conditions using ArchivesSpace? Do you know of any relevant plugins or ArchivesSpace API tools that we could use to batch change locations?

Thank you in advance for any help or feedback.

Happy New Year,
Bo

Bo Doub
Archival Projects Librarian