[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - February 2020

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Fri Feb 28 12:32:52 EST 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D5EE33.31442530]
February 2020 Update
Development

ArchivesSpace has released v2.7.1. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.7.1.

This release contains program-led and community pull requests that provide feature enhancements, bug fixes, infrastructure improvements, and documentation updates. Items of note include the ability to merge container profiles, a new select all capability on browse pages, and accessibility improvements.

Thanks very much to community members Blake Carver, Mark Cooper, Alex Duryee, Chris Fitzpatrick, Jeremy Friesen, Brian Harrington, Peter Heiner, Adam Jazairi, Steve Majewski, Dave Mayo, Andrew Morrison, Tom Shorock, Douglas Simon, and Maura, and program team members Laney McGlohon, Lora Woodford, and Sarah Morrissey for their code contributions to this release. Welcome and thanks to new contractor Brian Zelip for his contributions. As always this release would not have been possible without the efforts of our Development Prioritization sub-team, Testing sub-team, Technical Documentation sub-team, and Core Committers Group.

Information on upgrading to a new version of ArchivesSpace is available at http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/upgrading-to-a-new-release-of-archivesspace/. Please let us know if you have any questions or need help upgrading. While we are in the process of adjusting development plans to reflect staffing changes and will be updating the roadmap accordingly, we still expect to have releases later in the year that include finished work for a number of the projects currently in progress, including merging top containers, functionality for importing from spreadsheet files, and the expanded agents module. If your resources for upgrading ArchivesSpace to new releases are limited, you may want to wait to upgrade until later in the year, when these features are available.

Laney McGlohon leaves ArchivesSpace

It is with regret that we announce that Laney McGlohon’s last day in her position as ArchivesSpace Tech Lead was February 19.  Laney has taken a position with a startup in the financial district of San Francisco. She will be deeply missed by her fellow team members and the ArchivesSpace community.

As the inaugural technical lead, Laney was unflagging in her efforts over the last three years to build a strong infrastructure for our technical development and community engagement around development. She shepherded over 20 releases and release candidates of ArchivesSpace since joining us in January 2017. She reviewed and worked on thousands of pull requests, moving the ArchivesSpace application forward with each one. She created opportunities for community members to contribute and improve ArchivesSpace via the Core Committers and one-on-one onboarding and mentoring. She made our technical community bigger and more diverse. We are very thankful for all of these accomplishments, but, in the end, it is her humor, her enthusiasm, and her dedication to always doing the right thing that we so appreciate and will miss the most.

LYRASIS, the Organizational Home for ArchivesSpace, will be working to fill this position so look for more information soon. In the meantime, other team and community members will be covering the most pressing responsibilities of the Technical Lead.

Call for Proposals - Second Annual ArchivesSpace Online Forum

Mark your calendars for our second Online Forum! Taking place May 18-21, 2020, our online forum will be a four-day event spanning a variety of time zones and ArchivesSpace experience levels.

As with our in-person forums, our Online Forum will include a mix of opportunities to share and learn from each other about many different aspects of ArchivesSpace.  The forum aims to span the many time zones of our community over the course of 4 days with a three hour block each day. Visit the Online Forum wiki<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020> to view the schedule for each day.

We are now accepting both session proposals and ideas for topics via our online form at https://forms.gle/jraN42zqrdQ3KQD97. We will be reviewing proposals on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to get your proposals in early.  Submissions will be closed on April 8 with final notification from the planning team by April 24. Information about how to register for the event will be released closer to May. Anyone who uses ArchivesSpace or is interested in ArchivesSpace is welcome to attend.

Upcoming Webinar: Integrating ArchivesSpace with ARKs (Archival Resource Keys)

March 4, 2020, 2-3pm ET (11-noon PT; 7-8pm GMT)

Visit the ArchivesSpace blog for details.<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5930>

ArchivesSpace is pleased to announce the sixth webinar in our series focused on Integrations with ArchivesSpace.  Each webinar in this series will highlight an integration with another application used in archives that ArchivesSpace members have worked on or requested.

Our sixth webinar in this series will explore how to integrate ARKs (Archival Resource Keys),<http://n2t.net/e/ark_ids.html> persistent identifiers designed by the California Digital Library to support long-term access to information objects, into your ArchivesSpace implementation.

Webinar description:

This webinar will be recorded and made available on the ArchivesSpace YouTube channel.

In this webinar, John Kunze will describe the ARK design goals and current landscape. John created the ARK identifier scheme at the California Digital Library and leads the ARKs-In-The-Open initiative. With a background in computer science and math, he wrote Unix software that comes pre-installed with Mac and Linux systems, and contributed heavily to Internet standards for identifiers (URIs), archiving (BagIt, WARC), and metadata (Dublin Core).

Seth Shaw will describe the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Libraries adoption of ARKs for Finding Aid persistent identifiers in 2017 and their workflow for minting them.  Seth is an Application Developer for the UNLV Libraries dedicated to Special Collections and Archives. Seth was formerly the Electronic Records Archivist for Duke University and an Assistant Professor of Archival Studies at Clayton State University.

Christine Di Bella, ArchivesSpace Program Manager, will conclude the webinar by demonstrating the new functionality related to implementing ARKs in ArchivesSpace that became available with ArchivesSpace v2.7.0. This functionality includes the option to use internal or external ARKs in exports or OAI-PMH harvests for resources and archival objects.

Who should attend:

Anyone interested in ARKs, those who are currently using ARKs within ArchivesSpace and would like to offer insight to others, and those who are interested in using the new ARKs functionality in ArchivesSpace.

Questions?

Contact Jessica at jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org if you have questions about this webinar or the Integrations with ArchivesSpace webinar series.

The seventh Integrations with ArchivesSpace webinar will be: Integrating ArchivesSpace and Alma, April 8, 2020, at 2pm ET (11am PT).

The recording for our fifth webinar in the series, Integrating ArchivesSpace and Archivematica, is now available on YouTube<https://youtu.be/HtZ_AUgIM9I>.

Call for Nominations for ArchivesSpace Governance Groups

The ArchivesSpace Governance Board is seeking nominations to fill vacancies on three ArchivesSpace Governance Groups: the Governance Board, the Technical Advisory Council (TAC), and the User Advisory Council (UAC). Self-nominations and nominations by others are welcome.

Learn more about the calls for the different groups at:

  *   Governance Board<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5872>
  *   Technical Advisory Council<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5874>
  *   User Advisory Council<https://archivesspace.org/archives/5870>

Nominations must be received by 9:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, April 24, 2020. The Nominating Committee will review all nominations and recommend candidates and appointments to the Governance Board for their approval.

Please feel free to reach out to the members of the Nominating Committee or contact Christine Di Bella, ArchivesSpace Program Manager, at christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org> with any questions.

Save the Dates

Mark your calendars for these upcoming ArchivesSpace events!

  *   ArchivesSpace Western Archivists Regional Member Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/1058603307/Western+Archivists+Regional+Forum+2020> - April 22, 2020, at the San Francisco Public Library in San Francisco, CA

  *   ArchivesSpace Online Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/966688804/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum+2020> - May 18-21, 2020

  *   ArchivesSpace Annual Member Forum - August 4, 2020, at North Park University in Chicago, IL

  *   ArchivesSpace UK Regional Member Forum - December 9-10, 2020, at University of Oxford in Oxford, England

This list of events is for informational purposes and is meant to help as you plan your upcoming travel and professional development.  Calls for proposals, registration information, schedules and other information for each event will be announced and included on the wiki as planning commences for that event.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since January 31 include:

  *   Buckingham Browne & Nichols School (Cambridge, MA)
  *   Denver Public Library (Denver, CO)
  *   University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (Dallas, TX)

As of February 28, we have 414 General members, 20 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

Jessica Dowd Crouch
Community Engagement Coordinator for ArchivesSpace
jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org<mailto:jessica.crouch at lyrasis.org>
Skype: jdowdcrouch

[page1image482511520]