[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace 2.8.1 Edit Default Values

Andrew Morrison andrew.morrison at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Wed Dec 30 05:49:57 EST 2020

Is "Pre-populate Records?" checked in your own user preferences? User
preferences take precedence over repository preferences, and both take
precedence over global preferences. Initially your user preferences are
unset, so a checkbox like "Pre-populate Records?" will appear unticked,
but if it is enabled in repository or global preferences then it will
work. However, if you edit your user preferences, for example to change
the columns in a list view, when you click save that unticked checkbox
means the feature will be disabled, for you, from that point on.

I do not think there is any way to return a user account to its initial
state except by deleting a row in the MySQL database. It would be better
if single checkboxes were replaced with three radio buttons labeled
something like "Yes", "No", and "Use repository/global setting". Better
yet, if admins could lock them into the last of those three, preventing
users from changing them, then you could enforce policies like always
user default values. But I suspect that would require a lot of work to
implement and test.

Another thing to look out for is that default values are set up on a
per-repository basis. So you can have "Pre-populate Records?" enabled in
global preferences, but it will only actually work globally if all the
repositories in your system have been set up with default values.

Andrew.