[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Non ISO 639-2b languages?

Kevin W. Schlottmann kws2126 at columbia.edu
Mon Aug 24 08:00:00 EDT 2020

Dear List,

As we work through a hundred years of legacy description from home, we are
encountering many interesting things. We recently converted from PDF the
Elsie Worthington Clews Parsons collection (MARC view:
https://clio.columbia.edu/catalog/4079199/librarian_view).  There is a lot
of important Hopi-language material in the collection, so we were hoping to
add Hopi as a controlled language.  However, ISO 639-2b doesn't include Hopi
or even its parent language group.  The 'hop' code is only in ISO 639-3:
https://iso639-3.sil.org/code/hop

For now, we've included the "uncoded languages" value in the controlled
language dropdown in AS, and added a language note about the Hopi material
as well.

I'd be curious to hear how anyone else has handled non-ISO 6392b languages
in ArchivesSpace.

Best,

Kevin

--