[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Best Way to Reindex with PUI Live?

Joshua D. Shaw Joshua.D.Shaw at dartmouth.edu
Mon Apr 27 16:00:53 EDT 2020

Hey Blake-

I usually empty the indexer states directories and the data/solr_index/index directory when I do a fresh index run, but this is the first time I've had to do a re-index while the PUI is live. Staff I can give a heads up and they typically don't work weekends anyway. But students & faculty are a different ballgame!

Do you inform users of the PUI that its down? Or do your stats indicate that the use on weekends is low enough not to warrant that step? I'm loathe to completely take down an online resource - especially now when Dartmouth is in the middle of its spring quarter.

I guess I'll try a couple of different approaches on our dev site and see which turns out to be best. If none of those work, postponing the update till early June is probably the best option for us (when classes and finals end).

Thanks!
Joshua