[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Best practices for broken date spans and multiple single dates?

Minor, Joshua Alexander minorja at cofc.edu
Thu Apr 23 09:54:02 EDT 2020

Hello all,

I'm hoping this isn't a silly question or that I've just completely missed something in the help center/documentation but I'm wondering what's the best practice for inputting broken date spans (for example: 1920, 1980-1990) and for inputting multiple single dates (for example: 1900, 2010) at the series and/or file level in ArchivesSpace. I've checked the ArchivesSpace users group archives and this question did come up in 2015 but I didn't see an answer for it. It seems that ArchivesSpace doesn't want to string multiple dates together (unless you're inputting Bulk Dates) and instead just displays the first date entry in both the public interface and staff interface. I'm guessing the easiest way to handle this would be to use 1920, 1980-1990 as the Expression, use "inclusive" as the type, use 1920 as the Begin date, and use 1990 as the End date but this would lead to some inaccurate search results.

Am I missing something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Joshua Minor
​Manager of Archival Processing
College of Charleston