[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Empty space within a box

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Fri Mar 1 10:24:30 EST 2019

Thank you Paul and Laurel for your responses!

Paul, there doesn't appear to be any kind of note we can attach to the box
itself as it relates to features of the box. We can attach a note about the
box's location, as shown in the attachments to this email where "OD"
represents "oversize drawer" — we still need to go back and number the
specific folders within the drawer, which we treat as a location. But
remaining extent isn't related to location, so I'm loath to document this
information in the location note. And again in some cases, as in the second
screenshot attached, there can be dozens different archival objects in a
container, documenting this kind of info in archival objects is not
feasible. Incidentally, we'd love to have a note for boxes themselves for
instances e.g. when a box's name has changed or the box is dedicated to
separated born-digital materials.

Laurel, that may be a solution. But as we already have 175 different
container profiles, one that could be difficult to manage, particularly
since our processors sometimes need to know that the box has 3 vs 1 inches
remaining. Still, the primary candidates are bankers boxes and Hollingers,
so it could be possible to restrict these kinds of container profiles to
those container types. I will raise this option with my team.

Again, thank you for your input!!