[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - July 2019

Jessica Crouch Jessica.Crouch at lyrasis.org
Thu Jul 25 14:26:23 EDT 2019

July 2019 Update
Development

We continue to work on some needed infrastructure improvements for the application. We're also doing work on agents and recording language information that will make ArchivesSpace more standards-compliant in these areas. We're aiming to have these ready to go into the application in a release later this summer.

Are you interested in helping make the ArchivesSpace application better for the community by contributing code for small bug fixes and features? Our Development Prioritization sub-team recently worked with the program team to launch a Ready for Community Developer<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/issues/?filter=13633> status to make it easier to identify JIRA issues that are especially appropriate for community contributions. Development Prioritization sub-team leaders Lydia Tang and Maggie Hughes will be talking about it at our Annual Member Forum in Austin next week. You can also reach out to Christine Di Bella (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) or Laney McGlohon (laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org>) for more information about how to get involved with working on these issues.

Registration ends soon for the 5th Annual Member Forum!

Registration closes on July 30th for the  ArchivesSpace Fifth Annual Member Forum on August 2, 2019, at the Thompson Conference Center at ArchivesSpace member institution the University of Texas at Austin.  Just as in previous years, this will be a free opportunity for staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions to meet and share information with each other and the program team about all things ArchivesSpace. Check out our wiki for details and registration information!<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/863436816/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2019>

Attending SAA?

Here are all the places you can find ArchivesSpace on the SAA schedule:

Visit us at the ArchivesSpace booth!

Can’t attend the Member Forum but still want to connect with the ArchivesSpace program team? Visit us at the ArchivesSpace booth in the exhibit hall.  The exhibit hall is open Sunday, August 3, from 5:30pm-7:00pm and Monday, August 4, from 8:00am-5:00pm.

Check out these sessions featuring ArchivesSpace at SAA!

Saturday, August 3

8:30am-10:30am - Museum Section Symposium <https://archives2019.sched.com/event/OKXf/museum-archives-section-symposium>

(9:30am-10:30am) ArchivesSpace at the Whitney Museum of American Art

Tara Hart, Whitney Museum of American Art

Sunday, August 4

2:30pm-3:00pm - Professional Posters<https://archives2019.sched.com/event/NjVR/professional-posters>

Wrangling a Hidden Fine Art Collection, or a Librarian, an Archivist and a Curator (Cross)walk into ArchivesSpace

Sally Benny, New England Historic Genealogical Society

3:00pm-4:00pm - Session 308 <https://archives2019.sched.com/event/NjPd/308-linked-data-for-everyone-practical-and-implementable-solutions-for-enhancing-discovery-on-the-web>

Linked Data for Everyone: Practical (and Implementable!) Solutions for Enhancing Discovery on the Web

Interested in linked data but don't know where to start? The panelists attempt to demystify linked data by exploring simple, implementable ways to begin creating and consuming linked data to enhance discovery of archival resources. Discussion topics include ArchivesSpace, Wikidata, and Schema.org.  This conversation will give participants the clarity, courage, and practical tips needed to jump in and get engaged with the semantic web.

Monday, August 5

10:30am-11:45am - Session 609<https://archives2019.sched.com/event/NjQw/609-standards-for-sustainability-ensuring-sustainable-programs-with-it-takes-a-village>

Standards for Sustainability: Ensuring Sustainable Programs with It Takes a Village

What does it take to make sure programs are sustainable and enduring? The It Takes a Village (ITAV) Guidebook can act as a roadmap for all types of programs, not just open source software. Using the four facets outlined in the Guidebook—Technology, Governance, Resources, and Community Engagement—the panelists discuss how ITAV can be a tangible tool for ensuring sustainability, regardless of where a program currently sits within its life cycle. Laurie Arp, Director of Collections Services and Community Supported Software at LYRASIS, and ArchivesSpace Program Manager Christine Di Bella will be on the panel.

12:30pm-1:00pm - Professional Posters<https://archives2019.sched.com/event/OPkF/professional-posters>

Archives to the People: Piloting a New Public Program at the Brooklyn Museum

J.E. Molly Seegers, Brooklyn Museum

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since June 30  include:

  *   Museum of Ventura County (Ventura, CA)
  *   Newark Public Library (Newark, NJ)
  *   Des Moines Area Community College (Ankeny, IA)

Renewals have been sent to all current members for 2019/2020. If your institution has not received its renewal, or if you have any questions about it, please email us.

As of July 23, we have 394 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA’s Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.