[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Retrieving tree info via API (what are "waypoints"?)

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at virginia.edu
Tue Jul 23 11:57:43 EDT 2019

> So the next question is how do you make the subsequent calls to retrieve the next 200, etc.?

You call  /repositories/$repo/resources/$id/tree/waypoint?offset=$N  23 times.
( You already got the first batch in .precomputed_waypoints in the call to /ress/root  )

I found the documentation note in the source I was looking for:
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/backend/app/model/large_tree.rb <https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/backend/app/model/large_tree.rb>

# What's the big idea?
#
# ArchivesSpace has some big trees in it, and sometimes they look a lot like big
# sticks.  Back in the dark ages, we used JSTree for our trees, which in general
# is perfectly cromulent.  We recognized the risk of having some very large
# collections, so dutifully configured JSTree to lazily load subtrees as the
# user expanded them (avoiding having to load the full tree into memory right
# away).
#
# However, time makes fools of us all.  The JSTree approach works fine if your
# tree is fairly well balanced, but that's not what things look like in the real
# world.  Some trees have a single root node and tens of thousands of records
# directly underneath it.  Lazy loading at the subtree level doesn't save you
# here: as soon as you expand that (single) node, you're toast.
#
# This "large tree" business is a way around all of this.  It's effectively a
# hybrid of trees and pagination, except we call the pages "waypoints" for
# reasons known only to me.  So here's the big idea:
#
#  * You want to show a tree.  You ask the API to give you the root node.
#
#  * The root node tells you whether or not it has children, how many children,
#    and how many waypoints that works out to.
#
#  * Each waypoint is a fixed-size page of nodes.  If the waypoint size is set
#    to 200, a node with 1,000 children would have 5 waypoints underneath it.
#
#  * So, to display the records underneath the root node, you fetch the root
#    node, then fetch the first waypoint to get the first N nodes.  If you need
#    to show more nodes (i.e. if the user has scrolled down), you fetch the
#    second waypoint, and so on.
#
#  * The records underneath the root might have their own children, and they'll
#    have their own waypoints that you can fetch in the same way.  It's nodes,
#    waypoints and turtles the whole way down.
#
# All of this interacts with the largetree.js code in the staff and public
# interfaces.  You open a resource record, and largetree.js fetches the root
# node and inserts placeholders for each waypoint underneath it.  As the user
# scrolls towards a placeholder, the code starts building tracks ahead of the
# train, fetching that waypoint and rendering the records it contains.  When a
# user expands a node to view its children, that process repeats again (the node
# is fetched, waypoint placeholders inserted, etc.).
#
# The public interface runs the same code as the staff interface, but with a
# small twist: it fetches its nodes and waypoints from Solr, rather than from
# the live API.  We hit the API endpoints at indexing time and store them as
# Solr documents, effectively precomputing all of the bits of data we need when
# displaying trees.