[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Thai names in Finding Aid PDF

Adam Jazairi jazairi at bc.edu
Thu Jan 24 13:45:38 EST 2019

Hi Ed,

This is a problem with the fonts included in the version of Apache FOP that
ASpace uses. There's an open ticket here:
https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-473

We've encountered the same issue when we attempt to generate a PDF finding
aid containing Irish or Japanese diacritics. An interim solution we've been
using is to export the EAD, then run Saxon
<http://saxon.sourceforge.net/#F9.9HE> on it to generate an FO file, then
run FOP 1.0 <https://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/> with the appropriate
font on the FO file to generate the PDF. It's a bit cumbersome, but it's
worked for us so far.

Here's the FOP conf file that we use:
https://github.com/BCDigLib/bc-aspace/blob/master/fop/fop.xconf

The only catch is that you'll need a font that supports the unicode
characters you need. In your case, it looks like Arial v2.95 would work:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial#TrueType/OpenType_version_history

Hope this helps.

Adam

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 1:14 PM Tang, Lydia <ltang5 at lib.msu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Ed,
> The related ticket that I see is here:
> https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-294?jql=text%20~%20%22pdf%20diacritics%22
> It is “closed – completed”  It doesn’t look like Marcella’s ticket was ever
> created.  Ed, please go ahead and create a new ticket!  Thanks for pointing
> this out!
> Lydia – on behalf of Dev. Pri.
>
> From: <archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> on behalf
> of "Busch, Edward" <buschedw at msu.edu>
> Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 12:53 PM
> To: "'archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org'" <
> archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org>
> Subject: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] Thai names in Finding Aid PDF
>
> I’m not sure if there is an open ticket on this or not; a quick search
> didn’t reveal anything directly.
>
> Agents with Thai names and diacritics look correct in ASpace but when
> generated into a PDF finding aid, do not. They end up like:
> Saph# K#ns#ks# h#ng Ch#t
>
> I can create a ticket if needed.
>
> Ed Busch, MLIS
> Electronic Records Archivist