[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Report on the 2nd Quarter meeting of the ArchivesSpace Governance Board

Gordon Daines gordon_daines at byu.edu
Thu Dec 12 15:44:52 EST 2019

Dear ArchivesSpace members,
The ArchivesSpace Governance Board held its 2nd Quarter meeting virtually on December 5th. Below is a brief report of the meeting.

We reviewed the ongoing work of the Technical Advisory Council and the User Advisory Council. We would like to thank the members of these councils for their incredible contributions. It is good to see these councils continue to evolve and strengthen in terms of structure and interaction with each other.

The operations update highlighted progress with the new Help Center due to launch in mid-December, along with continued work with member institutions to increase development activity and strengthen the ArchivesSpace software. The financial reports showed a strong budgetary position and increasing membership.  Given the recent merger of LYRASIS with DuraSpace, the board has begun learning more about the former DuraSpace programs and began discussing potential opportunities for programs to work together.

John Wilkin graciously agreed to chair the Nominating Committee this year. We appreciate him taking on this pivotal responsibility.  He has already formed a strong group of committee members to start the process. If you are interested in a more active role in the ArchivesSpace Community, please let us know.

The Board also discussed ways to strengthen the processes and procedures for naming the Board liaisons to the Advisory Councils and discussed interest in continuing our annual sessions to incorporate member feedback into strategic planning.

In closing, I am very happy to report that the ArchivesSpace membership organization continues to be vital and growing, with members making contributions to all facets of the program.

As always, the Board welcomes your feedback. Feel free to reach out directly to me or to your elected representative.
Respectfully,

Gordon Daines
Chair, ArchivesSpace Governance Board

J. Gordon Daines III
Curator of Research and Instruction Services
Curator of Yellowstone National Park collection
Department Chair
L. Tom Perry Special Collections
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602