[Archivesspace_Users_Group] harvesting project planning

Noah Geraci noah.geraci at ucr.edu
Tue Dec 10 12:18:37 EST 2019

Hi all,

My library is looking at setting up OAI-PMH harvesting from ArchivesSpace to Primo and WorldCat. Currently, a cataloger uses the ArchivesSpace MARCXML export as a starting point to manually create  and maintain a MARC record for each collection in WorldCat and Alma. We'd like to move away from this for greater efficiency and data consistency.

Previous conversations on this list about harvesting logistics have been really helpful, but if you've undertaken similar projects, I'd be curious to talk a bit about the bigger picture. Were there any unexpected or particularly tricky challenges/side effects in moving from a cataloging approach to a harvesting approach? Also curious about experiences with WorldCat Digital Collection Gateway beyond the initial setup. Since it looks like its main scope is harvesting open access digital content, are there any issues with using it to harvest resource records for non-digital archival collections?

Thank you!
Noah

--
Noah Geraci