[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace failing to export resource to PDF

Adams, Thomas tadams at cshl.edu
Wed Jun 27 14:58:30 EDT 2018

Our problem exporting a PDF from an ArchivesSpace resource has been resolved.  Big thanks to Mark Custer for identifying the problem.

The method used to identify the problem was to export the resource as an EAD file. Then open the file in the oXygen XML editor and run validate. In this particular case, the editor flagged two <index id="aspace_..."> tags which did not have any <indexentry> elements within.  It also flagged a normalized date which only had a single digit in the day field.

Once the errors were flagged in the XML editor, it was easy to determine which archive object needed to be adjusted. In my case just changed the Note type from "Index"  to  "Arrangement".

There also exist the possibility that the EAD is valid, but the XSLT file  might still be throwing an error. Since there does not appear to be an way to capture the temporary XSL-FO file on the ArchivesSpace server, the following was suggested by Mark:
   "For my testing, I always export the EAD and then run the same transformation process through oXygen XML Editor.  If the PDF file fails, then oXygen keeps the temporary XSL-FO in the same location as the source EAD file, and it's easy enough to inspect things from that to see what's going on."

So it appears that behind the scenes, the PDF creation process first generates a EAD XML file, which is then transformed into a PDF by a XLST file.

Thanks

-Tom