[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Staff users/agents as subjects/creators

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Tue Jan 9 14:50:03 EST 2018

Thank you, Jordon and Mark, for your detailed response. Mark your detailed
explanation is *extremely *informative and will help us determine how to
handle staff records — both user and agent — particularly ones that appear
as creators and subjects. I have some testing to do to see how merging
affects the linkage in the database.

Apologies for responding so late, Mark, but I wanted to locate where I read
the information about not linking staff to records. I remembered reading it
somewhere, but it took me a while to locate. When we embarked on our
adoption/migration many moons ago, we were not paying Lyrasis members and
so did not have access to all the documentation. I was looking for
information anywhere I could get it. I remember reading a lot of the specs
clearly labeled "DRAFT", which is apparently where I got this idea, the
Agent Specifications from 2012:

http://archivesspace.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Agent-Specification-20120323.pdf

In the "Linking to Other Records" section, it states: "Repositories or
staff users cannot be linked to archival object records as the creator,
source, or subject of that archival object."

And:
"Agent records of type “person”, “family”, or “corporate entity” to an
accession record as either “creator”, “source,” or “subject” (except if the
record is also a staff user or repository);"

Obviously this is a draft and things have since changed. And technically,
the staff user cannot be linked. The associated agent record is.

Again, I really appreciate your feedback.