[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - February 2018

Christine Kim Christine.Kim at lyrasis.org
Fri Feb 23 13:03:55 EST 2018


February 2018 Update

This year is already off to a busy start! We have a webinar on the Assessments Module coming up next week, and the next Open Community Call is scheduled. The Boston Regional Forum is accepting submissions for lightning round speakers. Plans for a regional forum in Southern California is underway and we are looking for volunteers to join the working group. New stories are up on the blog, launching into a series that will provide deep insight into the TAC and UAC activities! Read on for more news!


ArchivesSpace v2.3.0 was released earlier this month. It is available for download at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.3.0.

This release contains a number of community pull requests along with a few bug fixes, some reports updates, and the start of the enhancement of the Agents module (JIRA with the full specification available at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1779).

The full list of bug fixes and improvements is included in the release notes. Thanks to community members Mark Cooper, Chris Fitzpatrick, Bobbi Fox, and Blake Carver for their contributions. We are also very appreciative of the work of our Development Prioritization sub-team, Testing sub-team, and Core Committers Group in helping prioritize, test, and do code review for issues for this release.

The first work on the enhanced Agents module is included in this release, namely a new feature that allows systems administrators and repository managers to add fields to the required field list in the Agents Record for all four types of agents. We are thankful to developer Alyx Rossetti for her work on this feature. Additional agents specification work will be included in upcoming releases.

Please note: another small release will be coming out later next week.

Deadline for Pull Requests

A note for developers and coders in ArchivesSpaceland: Just a reminder that the deadline by which a pull request needs to be submitted for consideration for the March 2018 release is March 16. Please submit any pull requests no later than the end of your day on March 16. Pull requests submitted after March 16 will be considered for a future release.

(Please note that submitting a pull request by the deadline does not guarantee that it will go into the next release, but it will help ensure that we have adequate time to review and test it before potentially putting it into a release. In general, the pull request deadline is the third Friday of a month in which a release is scheduled, with occasional exceptions when a release is intended to come out earlier in the month.)

If you have any questions, please get in touch. Thanks so much for your contributions and your help in making ArchivesSpace better!

Upcoming Releases

Curious about what's to come in future releases? Check out the roadmap: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/18710568/Roadmap

Some Changes in JIRA

As many of you know, we have been using JIRA for our development catalog (http://development.archivesspace.org) for several years now. In the last year eagle-eyed JIRA watchers may have noticed that some issues start with AR numbers while others start with ANW. The reason for that is that we've been slowly phasing in a new "project" (in JIRA's parlance) and associated workflow with more user-friendly issue statuses with the intent of retiring our former project and workflow. The new workflow is illustrated and explained at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/490536963/Workflow+Diagram+and+Narrative.

We've now consolidated all active issues into the ANW project and retired the AR project. The ANW project is now the one place to look for active issues. The AR project is still there but is now read-only; if an issue is in AR it's because the development work has been done to incorporate it into the application or it is no longer under consideration. You can still search or browse for older issues to get a sense of what's been done or considered over time, but you will not be able to edit or comment on these issues. We encourage you to open a new issue in the ANW project if you want to restart an earlier discussion on an accepted or closed issue or think you're observing something now that appeared to have been fixed previously.

Once active issues in ANW are closed, they will remain in the ANW project. Because the statuses in ANW are easier to understand, we think you'll find it easier to tell than in the past which issues are still open and which are not.

We're hosting a webinar in April titled A Bug's Life in which members of our Development Prioritization sub-team will walk through JIRA and the development process specifically as they pertain to reporting and fixing bugs. You are very welcome to send us any questions or thoughts you have ahead of time that may help shape the content for it. And please feel free to get in touch with Christine (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org) or Laney (laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org) if you have other questions about JIRA and how we use it in general.

Webinar on the ArchivesSpace Assessments Module: March 2 at 1-2pm ET (10-11am PT)

The new ArchivesSpace Assessments Module made a quiet debut in October 2017 with the v2.2.0 release. The assessments module was made possible by many individuals: Tufts University subsidized this project, and the development was done by Hudson Molonglo. Dan Santamaria and Adrienne Pruitt took the lead on the Tufts side in working closely with HM developers, and also coordinated putting the module out for wider testing, in which people at institutions including the Smithsonian, Smith College, University of Michigan Special Collections, and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania participated.

With the assessments tool now available in ArchivesSpace, many are wondering how it might be incorporated into their collection management workflows. In this webinar, Dan Santamaria will provide insight into the role assessment plays within the wider picture of collection management, and why the institution was compelled to fund its development. Adrienne Pruitt will discuss the development process, run through a demo of the module, and talk about how it's helping with a collection-wide survey at Tufts. Christie Peterson will share how Smith College will use the assessments module in the coming year, and her experience with various manifestations of managing assessments.

Please join us on March 2, 2018 at 1-2pm EST (10-11am PST) as Dan, Adrienne, and Christie share an overview of the new ArchivesSpace Assessments Module. Please feel free to bring any questions you have.

The webinar will be available through: http://lyrasis.adobeconnect.com/rm9sg4mj3ame/ and the recording will be available at a later date.

No registration required. The session is limited to the first 100 participants. Please feel free to host a webinar viewing group.

If you have any questions about this webinar, please contact Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>. We look forward to seeing you at the webinar!

Save the date for upcoming web events! Formal announcements to follow.

  *   Webinar: Assessments Module Overview & Implementation  [March 2, 1-2pm ET / 10-11am PT]
  *   Webinar: A Bug's Life: From JIRA to Fix [April 11, 1-2pm ET / 10-11am PT]
  *   Webinar: A History of the Finding Aid [May 16, 1-2pm ET, 10-11am PT]
  *   Open Members Call on Zoom! [May 24, 2-3pm ET / 11-noon PT]

ArchivesSpace Open Community Call

Thank you all for participating in the open discussion call this week! Notes have been posted on the wiki: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/501383221/2018-02-21+Open+Meeting+notes<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/312442910/2017-11-29+Meeting+notes>

And thanks to your feedback, these open calls are now a regular part of our community conversations. Please save the date for Thursday, May 24, 2-3pm ET / 11-12 PT. A formal announcement, including a survey for discussion topics, will follow.

If you have additional feedback you'd like to share, please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Directory of ArchivesSpace Interest/Working Groups

Are you involved in any local ArchivesSpace interest groups? Please feel free to add to this directory: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/507314319

As a quick reminder, anyone can create an account on the ArchivesSpace wiki. Feel free to add to the page directory or leave a comment.

ArchivesSpace at Code4Lib

We were thrilled to catch up with so many ArchivesSpace community members at Code4Lib this year. Thanks to all who joined the breakout session to chat about ArchivesSpace development activities. Laney McGlohon and Lora Woodford also taught a workshop called "Writing Plug-ins for ArchivesSpace." Slides from the workshop are available: https://osf.io/jdru2/

We look forward to seeing more of you at other conferences and events throughout the year!

Boston Regional Forum: Call for Lightning Round Speakers

The Boston Regional Forum Working Group is seeking proposals for a lightning round of presentations, to be delivered at the ArchivesSpace Boston Regional Forum on May 3, 2018.

The presentations will be capped at 5 minutes and topics can be on anything related to your work using, developing, implementing, or actively contributing to the ArchivesSpace application and community.

Please use this form: https://goo.gl/forms/0lXQz1MxAC1tETIY2 to submit a short proposal (e.g. a topic, initiative, challenge, question, or program you are working on or thinking about) by Friday, March 23, 2018. You will receive a response by April 3, 2018.

If you have any questions (or ideas) related to the lightning round submissions or the regional forums, feel free to email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

The regional forums are opportunities for our diverse ArchivesSpace members to meet up more locally to share and learn from each other through workshops, focused discussion sessions, and presentations. We look forward to having the content shaped by our community.

Southern California Regional Forum: Announcement & Call for Working Group Volunteers

We are happy to announce that another regional forum will be coming to Southern California in June 2018 at the University of California, Irvine.

We would love for the content to be shaped by the community. This working group will focus on identifying program content, connecting with presenters, and suggesting local arrangements. Additionally, other potential tasks will include hands-on assistance during the forum such as running the registration table and taking notes. The program team will take care of any details concerning cost and logistics.

If you (or you know someone interested) would like to join the working group to plan the ArchivesSpace Regional Forum in Southern California, feel free to email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org> by March 15th. Please let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for considering.

New Stories on the Blog

We have new stories posted on the blog! In All About Community, Max Eckard (Archivist for Digital Curation, University of Michigan Bentley Historical Library) provides an overview of the ArchivesSpace Technical Advisory Council, which he currently chairs. This is the beginning of a series that will launch into the various subteams of the Technical Advisory Council as well as the User Advisory Council and will provide insight into the variety of activities and initiatives in progress by these groups.

All About Community is a blog series that highlights the many teams and groups that contribute to the growth and development of ArchivesSpace. http://archivesspace.org/category/all-about-community/

User Insights is a blog series that highlights diverse perspectives and experiences of ArchivesSpace users to enrich our entire community through shared stories, strategies, and lessons learned. http://archivesspace.org/category/user-insights/

We would love to include your ArchivesSpace stories on the blog! If you would like to contribute, please email Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since January 19 include:

  *   Anderson University (Anderson, IN)
  *   Emory University (Atlanta, GA)
  *   Forsyth Library, Fort Hays State University (Hays, KS)
  *   Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute (Williamstown, MA)

As of February 23, we have 352 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.


ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/pipermail/archivesspace_users_group/attachments/20180223/a941638c/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image003.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 20006 bytes
Desc: image003.jpg
URL: <http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/pipermail/archivesspace_users_group/attachments/20180223/a941638c/attachment.jpg>

More information about the Archivesspace_Users_Group mailing list