[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Questions about MariaDB

Francis Kayiwa kayiwa at princeton.edu
Sun Feb 11 21:16:06 EST 2018

Heya,

On 2/9/18 4:50 PM, Crawford, David E wrote:
> We have been using MySQL for our ArchivesSpace for several years, but
> our institution wants to shift us to MariaDB.  The university no longer
> supports MySQL - not just for us, but campus wide.
>
> Will ArchivesSpace work with MariaDB?  If so, are there any problems or
> issues I should anticipate with the transfer from MySQL?  And are there
> any problems or issues I should anticipate running ArchivesSpace in the
> future?
>
> I should add that this is not a hostile takeover (i.e., I am not being
> forced to make a change).  The IT folks are being very helpful, so any
> information that helps them to help our archives will be appreciated.

As others have said. MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL. For the
purposes of Archivesspace you will see no difference. One can reasonably
speculate that at some distant future date MySQL will diverge from
MariaDB and cause minor differences with MariaDB[0] (Oracle's gonna
Oracle! :-( ) but the optimist in me hopes open source projects will bet
on MariaDB over MySQL when that day comes.

Cheers,
./fxk

[0] https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/