[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Encoding errors while importing from Archivist Toolkit

Ryan Rotter rrotter at umich.edu
Tue Feb 6 17:13:05 EST 2018

While running the ArchivesSpace AT Migration plugin I have users repeatedly
seeing errors like this:

(Encoding::UndefinedConversionError) "\xB4" from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8
> You're seeing this error because you use JRuby::Rack::ErrorApp::ShowStatus.

This error is what ruby should throw while attempting to reencode invalid
ASCII to UTF-8 but, I've checked the data and it's not ASCII at all, it's
valid UTF-8. The strings it hangs up on are all multibyte characters. Why
would ASpace think the data is ASCII? Is there a way to force the plugin to
properly represent the encoding to ASpace to prevent this error?

Ryan Rotter
Library IT
University of Michigan