[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Deleting duplicate commas - MySQL woes

Blake Carver blake.carver at lyrasis.org
Thu Dec 20 21:56:15 EST 2018

Maybe it's just the copy and paste has left you with those darn "fancy quotes", I brought up MySQL 8 here and these both worked, but after I made sure to put the regular ' in there because when I copied and pasted your message it had the curly things and both commands barfed with:

"ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ',’ FROM title)' at line 2"

It's not super obvious in there, but the single quotes ' are curved, and not a plain '

Here's what worked:

MySQL [archivesspace]> UPDATE archival_object SET display_string = replace(display_string, ',,', ',');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.10 sec)
Rows matched: 18501  Changed: 1  Warnings: 0

MySQL [archivesspace]> UPDATE archival_object SET title = TRIM(TRAILING ',' FROM title);
Query OK, 5 rows affected (0.12 sec)
Rows matched: 18501  Changed: 5  Warnings: 0

Not sure how this will get formatted or reformatted from the mail programs, so you may need to do it again.