[Archivesspace_Users_Group] diacritics in Title and Filing Title fields

Benn Joseph benn.joseph at northwestern.edu
Tue Dec 11 11:19:27 EST 2018

Not sure if there’s a ticket for this, but we’re seeing some tricky behavior with diacritics in both the Title and Filing Title fields when trying to print a PDF as a background job.

Here’s an example: the collection name is “Camille Saint-Saëns correspondence”, and the umlaut displays correctly in the public interface.

If this text is input into the Title field without any character encoding, i.e. if the “ë” is just pasted in there, then when I print a PDF as a background job in the staff interface it shows up like this:

“Camille Saint-Sae#ns correspondence”

If I encode the character, whether HTML (ë) or UTF-8 (ë), the title ends up looking like this in the PDF output:

“Camille Saint-Saëns correspondence”

…because the ampersand gets converted to “&” in the xml and ends up as “& #235;”. I’m not seeing this behavior in any other fields though. Does this mean that no diacritics are allowed in the Title fields? Or, am I just inputting this wrong? When generating a PDF from the public interface, it seems to remove the encoding entirely, so the title fields end up as “Saint-Saens” in each case--although I understand that PDF creation process to be different than the one done as a background job.

Thanks!
--Benn

Benn Joseph
Head of Archival Processing