[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Duplicate Commas Following Description

Mayo, Dave dave_mayo at harvard.edu
Fri Aug 10 15:36:45 EDT 2018

Hi,

That’s definitely possible.  There are definitely multiple ways to do that, with different risks and benefits.

The ones I can think of offhand are:

1. Do that in the MySQL database, then clear out and rebuild ArchivesSpace’s Solr indexes.  This would probably be overall fastest, but would mean some downtime, and Solr index rebuilds can take a fair amount of time if your collection is large.
2. Do it via a scripting language and the ArchivesSpace API.  In this case, you’d basically write a loop over all your records, download the object, alter the description, and save the object.

If you wouldn’t mind talking a little about what your available resources, access (can you directly access MySQL? Can you run Python scripts against the backend? What version of Python can you use?  That sort of thing), and available expertise, I might be able to provide more help/advice?

--
Dave Mayo
ASpace Core Committers Group