[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Accessions of rare books in AS?

Rush, Michael michael.rush at yale.edu
Fri Oct 27 08:59:52 EDT 2017

All,

Following up on this thread, I can say a bit more here about the Yale Payments Module plugin, as I was the lead person for delineating the functional requirements.

The spec that Mary shared is still mostly up-to-date, but the plugin has evolved a bit since then. The most recent release (https://github.com/hudmol/payments_module/releases/tag/v2.1.x-1.2), for example, re-orders some of the fields based on our experience of using the plugin for a few years, makes a few other cosmetic changes, and most importantly changes the amount fields from text to decimal. It also requires ASpace 2.0 or higher.

The basic data model that any accession may have zero or one payment summary record. That payment summary record has three fields: Total Price, Currency, and an “In Lot” Boolean (which we use to designate when an accession represents more than one line item from an invoice, or when one line item from an invoice has been split into multiple accessions). Each payment summary may have zero or more payment records associated with it. Each payment record may contain the following fields: Payment Date, Invoice Number, Fund Code, Amount, USD Equivalent Amount, Authorizer [meaning which curator OKed the payment], and Note. We often pay for significant purchases in installments, or pay for single purchases on multiple funds, hence the need to record multiple payments. All fields in the payment summary and the payment record are optional.

I should note that the Payment Module plugin also adds several fields to advanced search, like Fund Code, Payment Date, and Invoice Number.

Circling back to using ASpace for rare book accessions, a former colleague and I put a lot of thought into how we might do that. We have a large volume of rare book accessioning and ultimately that effort got shelved, but we did give it a lot of thought, and even developed some plugins to support it, most notably the OCLC record importer ( https://github.com/hudmol/aspace_oclc) and a modified import map for MARCXML to Acessions (https://github.com/hudmol/yale_marcxml2accession_extras). We have never used these in production and so I’m certain they would need to be updated before use with the current version of ASpace. Basically we mapped our current dbText-based book accessioning db to ASpace with a mix of regular and user defined fields. From a data perspective it would have worked fine – for us the challenge was the feeling that the ASpace interface wouldn’t be sufficiently flexible or efficient to represent an improvement over the currently used system. But if you have a more modest volume of rare book accessions, I’m certain ASpace can be adapted to the task.

Happy to answer more questions or chat offline if that would be helpful.

Mike