[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Voila! You can already search within a collection

Linda Sellars lwsellar at ncsu.edu
Thu Oct 19 14:35:59 EDT 2017

For me, control-f searches whatever is visible on the screen (including
stuff that would be visible if I scroll down). So if I open all the series
and subseries so that I can see the list of components, control-f will
search that list. If I want to search a big collection, I start opening the
series from the bottom so that I don't have to wait for each series to open
completely before I can click on the next one. If you have a lot of
nesting, it can take a while to do this and it's easy to miss a subseries
so that you are not searching whatever is in that one. For the most part,
it works pretty well.

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Tang, Lydia <ltang5 at lib.msu.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, Joan!  I am not sure if that works on a Mac but that function
> would be handy.  On a Mac, I can control F to find anything on the
> collection and series-levels, but anything further nested is a no-go for
> me, at least, that’s how it seems.
> Lydia
> From: <archivesspace_users_group-bounces at lyralists.lyrasis.org> on behalf
> of Joan Curbow <CurbowJ at bvu.edu>
> Date: Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM
> To: "archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org" <
> archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org>
> Subject: [Archivesspace_Users_Group] Voila! You can already search within
> a collection
>
> Boy, do I feel dumb. I answered my own question from a couple of days ago.
> You CAN search within a collection, and it should have been the first thing
> I tried, but, of course, I didn’t.
>
> Ctrl-F, the old standby, works like a charm. A lovely extra search box
> appears, and you can type in a search term, and it will tell you how many
> instances appear within that collection, and hitting enter will take you to
> each instance. WONDERFUL!!
>
> Just thought I’d share.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joan Curbow
> Reference Librarian and Archivist
> Buena Vista University Library
> Buena Vista University
> 610 West Fourth Street
> Storm Lake, Iowa  50588
> 712.749.2094
> www.library.bvu.edu<http://www.library.bvu.edu>​​

Linda Sellars
Head of Technical Services for Special Collections
Special Collections Research Center, NCSU Libraries
lwsellar at ncsu.edu