[Archivesspace_Users_Group] updated ArchivesSpace Technology and Development Roadmap

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Mon May 15 09:48:31 EDT 2017

Hello ArchivesSpace members,

We are pleased to share an updated ArchivesSpace Technology and Development Roadmap.  It is also available on the ArchivesSpace wiki at:
https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Road+Map

The roadmap is a planning and communication tool to help the community know what to expect in terms of future development work and aid in planning for upcoming releases and upgrades.   As we continue to develop the roadmap, this updated version includes:

*         tying activities to JIRA tickets

*         including the requirements portion of the process (we need close-to-finalized requirements before development can be scheduled)

*         outlining the responsible party as a way to highlight and encourage community involvement

*         a detailed overview for several releases on the first tab, then separate tabs to highlight features of individual releases

Additionally, we have heard from a number of people who want their institutions to get more involved in developing for ArchivesSpace. We have indicated in the roadmap features for which we are actively seeking developers from the community willing to take responsibility for implementing them in the code. These are noted with "Seeking community developer/s" in the Responsibility column. We believe that these pieces are small and bounded enough to make them reasonable to implement this way and that they provide an excellent opportunity for those who are interested to improve the ArchivesSpace application for the community overall. Please get in touch with Laney and Christine if you'd like to discuss this kind of involvement with development.

The timelines and priorities reflect:

*         Major feature priorities were based on a combination of the results of the 2016 prioritization member survey, the availability of finalized specifications, and community input including discussion on the Users Group listserv

*         Refactoring prioritization was based on HM's analysis of the code

*         Bug fixes and feature enhancements prioritized by the Development Prioritization Subteam

We appreciate the helpful feedback and suggestions provided from Gordon Daines, Sally Vermaaten, Jason Loeffler, HM and Technical Advisory Council and User Advisory Council members.

We want to continue to provide transparency and visibility for development planning and continue to explore ways to further involve the community in the roadmap process. Please share any suggestions you have with us.

Please feel free to share your feedback with us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>.

All best,
Christine

Christine Di Bella