[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Instances

Maureen Callahan mcallahan at smith.edu
Wed May 10 11:35:13 EDT 2017

Hi Joan,

The only thing I would add to what Christie said is that I think that you
have the right instinct to model each of the boxes separately (so that you
can assign barcodes, track locations, etc.), and in addition, it may indeed
be useful to researchers to see each individual box in the finding aid.
This way, they can request boxes 1 and 2 in your circulation system on
Monday, and then request box 3 when they're ready on Tuesday.

One other point -- with all things systems, it's always possible to
*display* this differently than it's encoded and it's almost always a bad
idea to encode *for* display. It might be worth requesting a change in the
ASpace public interface so that boxes are each represented in the database
(there's a top container record for each of them) and it just says "1-4" in
the display in the public interface (or if you're making XML EADs, you can
make your XSLT stylesheet do this for you).

Thanks,
Maureen

Maureen Callahan
Sophia Smith Collection Archivist
Smith College Special Collections
Northampton, Massachusetts 01063
T. 413 585 2981 C. 215.863.1860
mcallahan at smith.edu

Pronouns: she/her/hers

Smith College Special Collections will be closed from May 22 to September
4, 2017 as we move to our interim location and Neilson Library begins
renovations. Although we cannot serve researchers onsite during that time,
please don't hesitate to be in touch for remote research assistance.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SophiaSmithCollection/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smithlibraries/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/archivalagents