[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Accruals/related accesions

Kari R Smith smithkr at mit.edu
Fri Mar 31 12:46:25 EDT 2017

Olivia,
Would it work to create a User Created data field in the Accession Record to note if the Accession is of TYPE= Accural or TYPE = Accession?  That would allow you to run reports on the differences but they would all be related to the Resource record for the overall collection.

One thing we did when we were using ATK was to only refer back to the original Accession record when we needed to make the link between the record with certain data (for example, if there is a signed gift agreement) first accession record and the subsequent ones.  But we didn’t link all subsequent accession records to themselves.

Kari R. Smith
Digital Archivist and Program Head for Born-digital Archives
Institute Archives and Special Collections
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Libraries, Cambridge, Massachusetts
617.253.5690   smithkr at mit.edu   http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/  @karirene69

Our registrar determines this, but essentially we consider an accession that has the same creator and is the same resource type as an existing collection an accrual. Sometimes this is very obvious. For instance, we are the university archives (University of Texas) and regularly receive records/papers from departments and faculty. So if we have already received an accession from a particular professor, a new accession from him or her would be an accrual. If a professor sends materials to us for the first time, the accession is not an accrual, though any subsequent accessions he/she passes on would be.

Most of the time, whether or not something is an accrual is clear to our registrar, but sometimes he has to do a little digging to see if an accession is an addition to an already existing collection.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Olivia