[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Accruals/related accesions

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Thu Mar 30 17:59:25 EDT 2017

Hi Mary,

Sure, and thanks! For accessions, it made sense to us to document accruals
as linked related accessions. We thought about whether to make the link
relationship a sibling or parent/child relationship, but had initially
assumed every accrual would inherit all the familiar links.

The first 8 screen shots illustrate my first test, where the assumption
that all accessions are siblings of one another.
1) Created link from Collection 3 to Collection 1. (Collection 3 being an
accrual to Collection 1)
2) Collection 3 with linked sibling record, Collection 1.
3) Created link from Collection 2 to Collection 1. (Collection 2 also being
an accrual to the same set of collections)
4) Collection 2 with linked sibling record, Collection 1.
5) Collection 1 with two siblings, Collections 2 and 3.
6) Click on link to Collection 3.
7) Collection 3 only has link to Collection 1 even though Collection 2 is
also Collection 1's sibling, and therefore, in my mind, sibling to 3 as
well. (this may be incorrect logic.)
8) Also view Collection 2; same issue as above.

Maintenance seems unsustainable in this scenario as we'd want all accruals
to be linked to one another. We would have to link Collection 2 to
Collection 3 as a sibling. If another accrual to the collection came in, we
would need to individually link it to Collection 1, Collection 2, and
Collection 3 to identify all of its sibling accruals. And so on. Presuming
that Collection 2 and Collection 3 can be siblings of Collection 1 but not
necessarily to each other, a parent child relationship would seem to
establish the appropriate connections. We tested this through the resource,
to see if the resource copied over not only the parent accession, but also
its child. Screen shots 9 through 15 illustrate the 2nd test:

9) Create a Collection 4.
10) Spawn a new accession from Collection 4.
11) Rename spawned accession Collection 5.
12) In Collection 5, scroll down and create Related Accessions link to
Collection 4. (Collection 4 = parent, Collection 5 = child)
13) Return to Collection 4, and spawn resource.
14) Spawned resource from Collection 4.
15) Scroll down to view related accessions. Only Collection 4 appears, not
Collection 4's child/related accession, Collection 5. Shouldn't it appear
in the resource as well? In addition to among accession accruals, we would
like to document the accession numbers of all accruals in the resource
record. It would seem like this could be automated through related
accessions links.

Is this clear? Much obliged!

-Olivia