[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Export options for User Permission Groups?

Eric Milenkiewicz eric.milenkiewicz at ucr.edu
Wed Mar 8 13:49:40 EST 2017

Thanks Steve.

You are right, by checking the "initiate import jobs" the export functionality will be added to a User Permission Group (I verified it works in 1.4.2). As you mentioned, though, additional permissions will also be added to this user group. And navigating through the steps is also a little clunky, but it does work.

I took a look at the Public Formats plugin and it doesn't show that it was tested for compatibility past version 1.2.0, so I am not sure it will work with the later versions. That might be an option, though. Hopefully, as the product develops there will be more options for fine tuning permissions.

Best,

Eric Milenkiewicz
Manuscripts Curator
Special Collections & University Archives
UCR Library
951-827-4942

Note: I tried this with current version. Not sure if it will work the same on 1.4.2.

I believe if you add "initiate import jobs" permission to the group, although the option will not show up when viewing the resource, you can click on "Create/Background Jobs" menu and download a PDF that way. However that's probably still granting more permissions than you want. I believe that now that there are other types of batch jobs, "import" applies to all batch jobs. Yes: it's often difficult to figure out what permission you need to turn on for a particular use case. Another alternative is to enable the aspace-public-formats plugin and then you can download PDF from the public web server.

In general: Yes - I've had problems with the ArchivesSpace permissions system. In some places it doesn't grant even read permission to things that you don't have permission to change. I believe that's the case for repository information.  I know there are more - I'm sorry I haven't been keeping a list of the issues as they come up. Another issue is that users can't change their own passwords - they need an admin to set them.

- Steve.

Hi All,

We have provided reference staff with Viewer access to our ASpace instance (1.4.2), however they cannot access any of the export options namely "Print Resource to PDF." This would be extremely helpful in reference interactions pertaining to in-process/partially processed collections that are not yet available through the public interface. The export option does not become available until the "Advanced Data Entry" level which provides more privileges than we would like to grant here. And exports aren't listed as one of the Manage Groups functions that can be toggled on/off.

I'm curious to hear if others are facing similar issues and if there are any workarounds/planned improvements in this area? Thanks.