[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - June 2017

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Tue Jun 6 14:36:09 EDT 2017

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

June 2017 Update

Development

Together with our development partner Hudson Molonglo, we're hard at work on the 2.1.0 release. This release will include major additions and improvements to functionality, including the production-ready version of the new public user interface, an OAI-PMH responder, and an enhanced rights management module. It will also include various bug fixes, improvements to the backend and performance, and minor report enhancements. We expect to freeze the code in mid-June, and make the new features available for testing very soon afterwards. Once testing is complete to a satisfactory degree, we'll release 2.1.0, a very exciting milestone in ArchivesSpace development. Stay tuned - more information will be available later this month.

Updated Technology and Development Roadmap

We have shared an updated ArchivesSpace Technology and Development Roadmap on the ArchivesSpace wiki at: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Road+Map

The roadmap is a planning and communication tool to help the community know what to expect in terms of future development work and aid in planning for upcoming releases and upgrades. This updated version includes:

*         tying activities to JIRA tickets

*         including the requirements portion of the process (we need close-to-finalized requirements before development can be scheduled)

*         outlining the responsible party as a way to highlight and encourage community involvement

*         a detailed overview for several releases on the first tab, then separate tabs to highlight features of individual releases

The timelines and priorities reflect:

*         Major feature priorities were based on a combination of the results of the 2016 prioritization member survey, the availability of finalized specifications, and community input including discussion on the Users Group listserv

*         Refactoring prioritization was based on HM's analysis of the code

*         Bug fixes and feature enhancements prioritized by the Development Prioritization Subteam

We have heard from a number of people who want their institutions to get more involved in developing for ArchivesSpace. We have indicated in the roadmap features for which we are actively seeking developers from the community willing to take responsibility for implementing them in the code. These are noted with "Seeking community developer/s" in the Responsibility column. We believe that these pieces are small and bounded enough to make them reasonable to implement this way and that they provide an excellent opportunity for those who are interested to improve the ArchivesSpace application for the community overall.

Please get in touch with us if you'd like to discuss this kind of involvement with development, or if you'd like to share feedback, at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org.

Announcing the Inaugural Core Committers Group

The ArchivesSpace Program Team is pleased to announce the inaugural ArchivesSpace Core Committers Group. Code goes into the ArchivesSpace application from a variety of sources, and the core committers will be responsible for helping people with the process of contributing code to ArchivesSpace Github, reviewing and committing individual code contributions, and ensuring code contributions are properly licensed and follow best-practice guidelines. The core committers will also stay active in the community by welcoming new contributors and helping them get involved, monitoring and responding to issues on the ArchivesSpace mailing lists, and monitoring and analyzing relevant tickets on ArchivesSpace JIRA.

We thank the following individuals who have agreed to take on this important charge as part of this group:

*         Dave Mayo - Harvard University

*         Esha Datta - New York University

*         Lora Davis - Johns Hopkins University

*         Mark Cooper - LYRASIS

*         Steve Majewski - University of Virginia

*         Laney McGlohon - ArchivesSpace Technical Lead

If you'd like more information about the Core Committers, or if you'd like to get involved in contributing code to ArchivesSpace, please contact Laney at laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org.

Request for Comments: Agents Module Expansion Specification

On behalf of the Specification Team: Sue Luftschein, Cory Nimer, and Bradley Westbrook

In an effort begun over two years ago, an ad-hoc team from the Technical Advisory Council has been working to develop specifications to expand the ArchivesSpace Agent module to more fully support EAC-CPF and the MARC Authority format, and to assist with integration with the Social Networks and Archival Context (SNAC) Cooperative. This group has included representatives from the ArchivesSpace program team, Brigham Young University, and the University of Southern California.

The current draft of the specification is now available for comment and includes these components:

*         Data Model: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HFBCQ6hnsr92gaSqs2cWSkRRtwySstHQv_B74XnYxKw/edit?usp=sharing

*         Software Requirements Specification: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aFz4hzFWYVFo8TLkUpZS97cr1QfRgO4-st_G7wU8z2I/edit?usp=sharing

*         Wireframes: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1AAa_XOzd58OGFxVWdzNDM3d0k?usp=sharing

*         Migration Maps: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1AAa_XOzd58a3dVNkpYdXVTWlk?usp=sharing

The current version of the specification aims to provide augmented functionality in the following areas:

*         Record input

Introduces a range of new elements for the description of archival creators and authority record management. This includes a revised model for dates based on the EAC-CPF standard.

*         Record ingest

Includes expanded functionality for the implementation of EAC-CPF and MARC. Documentation of updated mappings for these ingest routines is provided.

*         Record merging

Expands on existing merging functionality, allowing for element-by-element selection from individual records during merge.

*         Record export

Introduces revised export routines to provide greater compatibility with EAC-CPF and MARC. Documentation of updated mappings is provided.

*         Record transmission

Provides for submission of locally-created Agent records to the SNAC Cooperative using a JSON response.

*         Record synchronization

Introduces functionality to allow institutions to maintain synchronization of local Agent record content with the Library of Congress Name Authority File (LCNAF) and SNAC.

The specification team requests feedback from institutions and individual archivists. Member comments can be posted directly to the User's Group listserv (archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org<mailto:archivesspace_users_group at lyralists.lyrasis.org>). You can also make comments on many of the individual specification documents. Please get in touch at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> if you have further questions or comments.

ArchivesSpace Integrations

On behalf of the Integrations sub-team of the Technical Advisory Council

The Integrations sub-team of the ArchivesSpace Technical Advisory Council is pleased to announce a number of new resources designed to make it easier for community members to undertake a project to integrate ArchivesSpace with another system.

*         A new Integrations with ArchivesSpace<http://archivesspace.org/developers/integrations-with-archivesspace/> page on the main ArchivesSpace site. We hope this helps to draw even more attention to the excellent work being done by community members that are already integrating ArchivesSpace with various other systems including: Archivematica, CollectionSpace, Drupal, DSpace, Jekyll and Preservica.

*         Two new resources: Why to Integrate with ArchivesSpace<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Why+Integrate+with+ArchivesSpace> and How to Integrate with ArchivesSpace<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/How+to+Integrate+with+ArchivesSpace>. The former details why you might want to couple ArchivesSpace together with various disparate systems to create efficient archival workflows, as well as various in-progress and planned integration scenarios. The latter details how you might go about integrating with ArchivesSpace and the various ways in which the architecture of ArchivesSpace is integration-friendly. Neither resource is exhaustive; if you have other ideas, please let us know!

The Integrations sub-team will also be highlighting these resources at a session entitled "Integrations with Other Applications" at the ArchivesSpace Member Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2017> later this summer. We hope to see you there!

As always, we're eager to hear about the work you're doing. Please get in touch with us by filling out the ArchivesSpace Integration Information<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScrz3ZpZRIz6qYf7ZV4plV_6eb8bc3lfPvWO9FquhRKmiqepQ/viewform> form so we can help spread the word.

Member Forum Registration Now Open

The 2017 ArchivesSpace Member Forum will be held on Tuesday, July 25, at the Smith Memorial Student Union on the campus of Portland State University from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The Member Forum is a chance for all interested staff of ArchivesSpace member institutions to share and learn about experiences implementing, using, and developing for ArchivesSpace. The preliminary schedule is available on our wiki<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2017>, with more details to come.

Online registration for this free event is now open at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/archivesspace-member-forum-2017-registration-34624388478. You may attend the full day, or just part. We look forward to seeing many ArchivesSpace members there.

Membership Update

Our new members since May 10 include:

*         Rochester Institute of Technology

*         Wesleyan University

Queens College Graduate School of Library and Information Studies and the Department of Library & Information Science at Catholic University of America are our new Educational Program members.

As of June 6, we have 333 General members, 14 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

Membership renewals for the 2017-2018 membership term are being prepared this month and all current members who have not already requested an advance renewal will receive an invoice for next year. Invoices will be sent to the billing contact we have on file, with a copy to Member Representatives as well. If you have any questions about your membership, please let us know at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.