[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Indexing woes in v 2.0.1

Chelsea Lobdell clobdel1 at swarthmore.edu
Tue Jul 11 10:32:42 EDT 2017

To add to Celia's post, we originally planned an upgrade from v1.5.3 to
v2.0.1 because our Archivesspace instance was experience extreme periods of
slowness with CPU usage going upwards of 95-98%. The log was full of Java
out of memory errors. Following the upgrade we increased the RAM on the
server from 2G to 4G and increased the CPUs from 2 to 4 as well.

When indexing issues were first reported I ran scripts/checkindex.sh
data/solr_index/index which reported no issues with the index. However, it
was evident that there was something a miss with the solr index. Which led
to the deletion of the following directories to for an entire re-index:

/path/to/archivespace*/data/solr_index/index/*

/path/to/archivesspace*/data/indexer_pui_state*
/path/to/archivesspace*/data/indexer_state*

As Celia notes, this corrected issues for items that were added / modified
previously but going forward addition / modification / deletions are not
behaving properly in search and browse.

Also, the Solr log continue to be full of sever errors that all follow the
pattern below:

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Exception writing document id
/repositories/6/resources/8766 to the index; possible analysis error.
	at org.apache.solr.update.DirectUpdateHandler2.addDoc(DirectUpdateHandler2.java:168)
	at org.apache.solr.update.processor.RunUpdateProcessor.processAdd(RunUpdateProcessorFactory.java:69)
Caused by: org.apache.lucene.store.AlreadyClosedException: this
IndexWriter is closed
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.ensureOpen(IndexWriter.java:700)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.ensureOpen(IndexWriter.java:714)
	... 40 more
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded

I've been using JVM Top to monitor heap, GC, and CPU but so far I have
not been able to draw any helpful conclusion from the data.

Any advice / suggestions on what to try from here would be greatly appreciated.

- Chelsea

*Chelsea Lobdell*
*Library Web Developer/ Swarthmore College*
*clobdel1 at swarthmore.edu <clobdel1 at swarthmore.edu> / (610)690-6818*