[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Laney McGlohon Introduction

Laney McGlohon laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org
Mon Jan 30 11:22:30 EST 2017

I would like to introduce myself to the ArchivesSpace community. I’m Laney McGlohon, the ArchivesSpace Technical Lead.  I started on Monday, January 23, 2017, and will be based in Atlanta, Georgia. I’m an information scientist, software developer, librarian, and data wrangler. I have been writing software for over 30 years and have worked in many different kinds of libraries - public, newspaper, academic, and cultural heritage institutions. My experience with special collections and archives spans more than seven years during which time I worked full-time at the Getty Research Institute (GRI) in Los Angeles and as a consultant and volunteer at the Museum of Ventura County California. I was responsible for managing the Archivists' Toolkit (AT) installations and the import of finding aids in many different digital formats and the export of EADs into the institutional discovery systems and the Online Archive of California. Before I left the GRI in 2014, I had several opportunities to work with the early migration tool from AT to ArchivesSpace and, upon my arrival at Stanford University Libraries, I assisted the University Archivist in the AT migration to the local ArchivesSpace installation.

I’m very excited to have this opportunity to work with archivists and other special collections-oriented colleagues again.  I look forward to working with all of you on improving the ArchivesSpace application and enhancing the deployment and usability of the software. Expect to hear more about the engagement of a broader set of developers in future development of the application. I will be attending Code4Lib 2017 anticipating opportunities to connect with like-minded people there.

You’ll be hearing more from Christine and me in the weeks to come about future plans, but in the meantime, feel free to get in touch at any point. I can be reached at laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org.