[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Intermittent Outages

Chelsea Lobdell clobdel1 at swarthmore.edu
Tue Feb 28 12:47:41 EST 2017

Hi Alex,

Not sure if this is going to be helpful or not but we were seeing a lot of
CPU load warnings on our dev server that would bring the frontend of the
application to a grinding halt until it was restarted. I was unable to see
anything in the logs or any sort of malicious traffic so I put a few stop
gaps in place. First, I adjusted IP Table and Firewall rules to lock down
the application to only campus IP ranges. The application is only used by
staff currently and they know if they are coming from off campus they need
to use EZProxy or VPN for access. Secondly, I set a nightly restart cron
from the root user's crontab:
# restart archivesspace every night at 2am
00 02 * * * /etc/init.d/archivesspace stop
05 02 * * * /etc/init.d/archivesspace start

We haven't experience CPU load warnings since I put these stop gaps in
place. So I'm still uncertain of what was causing the issue but maybe these
stop gaps can help you too.

- Chelsea

*Chelsea Lobdell*
*Library Web Developer/ Swarthmore College*
*clobdel1 at swarthmore.edu <clobdel1 at swarthmore.edu> / (610)690-6818*

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Alexander Duryee <alexanderduryee at nypl.org