[Archivesspace_Users_Group] PUI search results

Maderik, Rachel A maderikra at vmi.edu
Mon Aug 7 10:15:20 EDT 2017

We're running v2.1 in our sandbox, and have major concerns with the PUI indexer bringing back lots of irrelevant results on our public site. It seems that it's trying to bring back "related" records that don't actually contain the user's search terms. For example, this search done in 2.0 brings back 2 results (http://archivesspace.vmi.edu/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=rockenbach+AND+papers), while the exact same search in 2.1 retrieves 139 results (searchresults1.jpg), most of which are components that don't actually contain those search terms (plus, the relevant resource record is on the second to last page of the results (searchresults2.jpg)).

I created a live example in the public sandbox with the search "Rockenbach AND papers", which retrieves a relevant collection plus 4 components, none of which contains those search terms: http://public.archivesspace.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&op%5B%5D=&q%5B%5D=rockenbach+AND+papers&limit=&field%5B%5D=&from_year%5B%5D=&to_year%5B%5D=&commit=Search. One of the results, "Component Six", is not even part of the "Samuel D. Rockenbach Papers" collection. We're guessing it's in the results because it shares a top container with the other results (Box 1).

Our question: is this intentional behavior? If so, is there a way to turn it off? (I.e. revert to the old indexing rules, where the search retrieves results based on keywords only and nothing else). We have many items that share a physical container but are unrelated to each other, so this is unhelpful and confusing for our users.

Rachel Maderik
Systems and Technology Librarian
501D Preston Library
Virginia Military Institute