[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace performance monitor plugin

Mark Triggs mark at dishevelled.net
Wed Apr 26 01:41:05 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Late last year I put together an ArchivesSpace plugin to catch some of
the more common issues that we've seen affect ArchivesSpace's
performance.  While ArchivesSpace is running, the plugin monitors your
system and database and logs information about anything unusual it
finds.  You can find it here:

  https://github.com/hudmol/system_performance_monitor

To give an idea of the sorts of issues it looks for, it will tell you about:

  * opportunities for MySQL tuning (buffer pool sizing)

  * excessively high levels of network latency between the ArchivesSpace
    server and its database

  * running low on disk space

  * running out of JVM memory

  * running too few or too many indexer threads

I've run this against ArchivesSpace 1.5.x and ArchivesSpace 2.0.0 for a
few months now.  Performance impact on the running system should be
negligible in general.  If you want to check for low hanging performance
fruit--or just like being nagged--this could be the plugin for you!

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Triggs