[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace v2.0.0 released

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Wed Apr 19 10:05:36 EDT 2017

The ArchivesSpace team is very pleased to release version 2.0.0!

ArchivesSpace 2.0.0 features work from our development partner, Hudson Molonglo (HM), as well as code contributions from community members Steve Majewski and Brother Paul of Abbaye de La Trappe<https://www.latrappe.fr/>, who has provided our first publicly shared French translations of the interface. Thanks to all who contributed, participated in testing the release candidates, and provided the feedback that led to the many improvements in this release.

You can download the new release from Github at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.0.0.

Version 2.0.0 of ArchivesSpace is a major release, with many changes to the underlying technologies of the application as well as improved functionality in some key areas. Summary information about these changes is available in the release notes. The changes include upgrading to Rails 5, better performance for background jobs and larger databases, a new way to reorder components in resources and digital objects, and remediation of some issues with reports. The reports have not been completely reworked, but we have removed Jasper reports and replaced it with an internal report framework to make running reports more successful. We are continuing to work with the reports sub-team on improving the data that is output. We hope to put out minor releases with additional report fixes between now and the June 2017 release.

*         Please see the release page<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.0.0> for a listing of all the new features and bug fixes included in this release.

*         Please see the technical documentation<http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/upgrading-to-a-new-release-of-archivesspace/> for information on how to upgrade your ArchivesSpace installations.

By default, ArchivesSpace 2.0.0 uses the current public interface. We have provided two options for those who want to try out the beta public interface. We have a separate download called PUBLIC-BETA that comes with the new PUI enabled (https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/PUBLIC-BETA). You will need to set an environmental variable for ASPACE_PUBLIC_NEW=true before starting up. You also can build from the regular 2.0.0 source after setting an environmental variable for ASPACE_PUBLIC_NEW=true. The beta public interface should not be used in production.

Even though the new public interface is not yet ready for production use, if you are using the current public interface, you will notice some small changes brought in from the code from the beta public interface that will improve the experience. The new tree view for resources and digital objects shows the entire list of components, with the current component being highlighted. Also, a much larger set of EAD tags are now converted to HTML in both the current and the new PUI, allowing for better rendering than before of certain types of tagging.

Please let us know if you have questions or encounter problems executing the upgrade. The next major release of ArchivesSpace is expected to be available in June.

Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>