[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Embedded digital objects/thumbnails in finding aids

Aikens, Barbara AikensB at si.edu
Wed May 4 08:35:12 EDT 2016

Dear Emily,

In addition to the Smithsonian wide SOVA<http://sova.si.edu/> interface referenced by Ching-Hsien that is based on adding <dao> tags to the finding aids and pulling the associated digital content from the central DAMS, the Archives of American Art has an interface for its own website that displays finding aids with a) linkable collection level “selected digital highlights” on the finding aid’s home page AND b) fully digitized collections that are solely accessible via links at the folder titles within the finding aid.  Unlike the SI-wide system, our interface does not use <dao> tags within the finding aid.  Both of our display interfaces are based on programmed web templates in our home grown SQL database that houses both the digital files and the xml finding aids.  The xml file is ingested and the components are parsed out for display.  The file directory for the digital images mirrors the container inventory in the xml finding aid, and programming links the two.

Here is an example of collection level only content.  http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/katherine-thayer-hobson-papers-7050/more

Here is an example of a fully digitized collection.  http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/jack-levine-papers-9139

Here is the link to the project page for our large scale digitization initiative. http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/projects/terra

Best,

Barbara Aikens | Head of Collections Processing
Archives of American Art | Smithsonian Institution
T 202.633.7941 | F 202.633.7994
www.aaa.si.edu<http://www.aaa.si.edu/>| blog.aaa.si.edu<http://blog.aaa.si.edu/>

DC Headquarters
FedEx/UPS/DHL: 750 9th Street NW | Suite 2200 | Washington, DC 20001
USPS: PO Box 37012, Victor Building 2200 | MRC 937 | Washington, DC  20013-7012

New York Office
300 Park Avenue South | Suite 300 | New York, NY 10010

Join us on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/archivesofamericanart> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ArchivesAmerArt> | Tumblr<http://archivesofamericanart.tumblr.com/> | Pinterest<http://www.pinterest.com/archivesamerart/> | Instagram<http://instagram.com/archivesamerart>