[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Import lists - bug or planned?

Lynne E. Grigsby lgrigsby at library.berkeley.edu
Mon May 2 15:47:22 EDT 2016

Archivesspace doesn't seem to be able to import lists nested more than 2
deep. The attached finding aid contains a nested list within the Partial
List of Correspondents encoded within <odd>:

<odd>

<head>Partial List of Correspondents</head>

<list type="simple">

<item>Miscellany (single letters)

  <list type="simple">

    <list type="simple">

     <item><emph render="bold">California Forest Protective
Association</emph>

      <list type="simple">

       <item>Letter, Oct, 14, 1926. Enclosure: draft</item>

      </list>

     </item>

      <list type="simple">

       <item>Letter, Oct. 15, 1925</item>

      </list>

     </item>

etc.

The EAD imports into AS without errors but only the second item "Breed,
Arthur Hastings, 1865-1953" displays in AS. The pdf version is also
truncated as is the exported EAD finding aid. PDF is also attached.

As background, Bancroft's Partial Lists of Correspondents are very old
legacy structures which were encoded as lists within <odd>. They aren't
container lists - most of these finding aids have container lists in
addition to the partial lists as in this example. And while <index> seems
appropriate, the xml model doesn't allow it.

Is this limit planned or could be expanded in the future? If planned, could
it give an error?  We just happened to notice it but don't know if other
EADs we have loaded have the same problem.  We are checking that now.

Thanks!
Lynne