[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Any progress on AR1134 (ingesting EAD <dimensions> and <physfacet>)?

Dallas Pillen djpillen at umich.edu
Tue Mar 8 13:54:18 EST 2016

Hi all,

We here at the Bentley submitted that PR a few months ago to fix this
physdesc mapping issue. As far as I can tell, there is no requirement to
have an @altrender="part" attribute; rather, the PR was meant to make
ArchivesSpace ingest physdescs in the same way that it exports them. There
was some discussion about that on the PR here:
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/pull/312

Basically, the ArchivesSpace EAD exporter exports an extent record's
"portion" value as an altrender attribute of "whole" or "part," so the PR
that we submitted checks for an altrender attribute and, if it finds one
AND the altrender value is "part," the imported extent will have a portion
of "part." Otherwise, in cases where there is no altrender attribute or the
altrender attribute is some value other than "part," the extent record's
portion is set to "whole." See here:
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/backend/app/converters/ead_converter.rb#L248-L252

I just tested importing an EAD with several physdesc variations (some with
altrenders, some without; some with multiple extents, a physfacet and a
dimensions element, some with only a single extent or a single physfacet,
etc.) and it imported as expected (physdescs with an extent + other
elements create only an extent record and no duplicate notes; physdescs
with only non-extent elements create physical facet, physical dimensions,
or physical description notes, and so on). The imported resource is here:
http://test.archivesspace.org/resources/54

As far as I can tell, this issue has been fixed but it just has not made it
into an official release (the PR was accepted last November; v. 1.4.2 came
out in October).

I uploaded the EAD that I just tested to the JIRA issue as
physdesc_variations_test.xml.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 1:37 PM, Bowers, Kate A. <kate_bowers at harvard.edu>
wrote:

> I don’t understand the reasoning behind this at all.  Why would a
> there any documentation of the EAD ingest where this is recorded?
>

> Thanks!
>

> Kate
>

> *Kate Bowers*
>
> Collections Services Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Standards
>
> Harvard University Archives
>
> kate_bowers at harvard.edu <megan_sniffin-marinoff at harvard.edu>
>
> 617.496.2713
>
> voice: (617) 384-7787
>
> fax: (617) 495-8011
>
> web: http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:hul.eresource:archives
>
> Twitter: @k8_bowers

*Dallas Pillen*Assistant Archivist for Metadata and Digital Projects

  Bentley Historical Library <http://bentley.umich.edu/>
  1150 Beal Avenue
  Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2113
  734.647.3559