[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Problems with rapid data entry

Joshua D. Shaw Joshua.D.Shaw at dartmouth.edu
Thu Jul 14 08:13:18 EDT 2016

Hi Vakil-

At Dartmouth, for undated objects, we use the “single” date type and then enter “undated” in the expression field. I think that the use of inclusive or bulk in the date type requires actual dates which may be what’s triggering the validation errors you are seeing.

The rapid data entry has always been great in concept but a little squirrely in execution. The buttons which control the addition or removal of rows do not always show and I believe that’s down to the way that the javascript and css are set for the rapid data entry table (though I haven’t dug into that particular bit of code to verify). I’ve discovered two workarounds for this – both are less than optimal…

1)       Only add the number of rows that you know you will need or add them one at a time as needed.

2)       To make the buttons show, you can *usually* force a re-calculation of the rapid data entry table width by limiting the number of visible columns  and then resizing one or more of the column headers. I can usually make a column header smaller and then larger – and repeat a couple of times – which I believe forces a recalculation of the table width and eventually allows the control buttons to show.

In case others have similar issues, I (and everyone at Dartmouth) am using Mac OS and using one of the big three browsers (FF, Safari, Chrome). The behavior above is present in all three browsers and in both AS 1.3 and 1.5 and in all versions of MacOS from 10.9 to 10.11.

Best,
Joshua