[Archivesspace_Users_Group] "Is representative" in instances

Kennedy, Nancy KennedyN at si.edu
Tue Jul 5 10:25:32 EDT 2016

Mark/Chris –
Last I checked, ArchivesSpace isn’t exporting the @role attribute at all, whereas AT used to export the Use Statement to the @role.  What happens to Use Statement data (recorded with File Version)?  If a user assigned a Use-Statement and then also marked the DO ‘Is-representative’, what happens?  I’d lean towards keeping/continuing @role for the Use Statement, and using a separate attribute for Is-representative.

Also, it looks like there are two ways that “make representative” is set up right now.  A DO can be marked representative, but also, specific file versions can be marked representative for each DO.  I can see why you’d want that for the Public interface.  But for the EAD, what happens?  For example, a file version could be marked representative, while the DO itself is not.  If both kinds of “representative” export to the EAD, there needs to be a clear way to distinguish representative DO vs representative file versions.  (If we only exported the DO “is-representative” and omitted file version “is-representative”, that would solve my immediate issue too… but that seems less consistent in terms of what a user might expect --- if it’s the same ‘Make Representative’ button, then I’d expect export behavior to be similar).

Would it help if the EAD uses @arcrole -- and has the vocabulary include both “is-representative” and “is-representative-file-version” (or something like that)?  A repository could then distinguish between an archival object’s representative DO, versus a DO’s representative file version.

Nancy