[Archivesspace_Users_Group] preferences and default_values

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Jan 28 15:11:23 EST 2016

I’ve done a modification of the generate_accession_identifiers plugin to:
[1] add a initial prefix of ( repo[:org_code] || repo[:repo_code] )
[2] turn on and off according to user_prefs[‘default_values’]

Everything appears to work, but I’m having a bit of trouble figure out exactly what it’s going to do in any particular occasion.

There are three different menu items  in the user interface, in two different menus that control that setting:
“My Global Preferences”, “My Repository Preferences” & “User Preference Defaults” :

[cid:37ABD596-8005-4106-B3C9-BAF6A484D405 at Virginia.EDU]

[cid:9E8426FA-E707-46C7-A17E-0EA9D67C0441 at Virginia.EDU]

Those appear to be mapped into 12 different values in the backend API:
( I assume some of those are derived according to some precedence rules, but I haven’t found those rules yet. )

current_global_preferences:
{
  "defaults/default_values": true,
  "user_global/default_values": null,
  "global/default_values": null,
  "defaults_global/default_values": false,
  "defaults_user_global/default_values": true
}
repository/:repo_id/current_preferences:
{
  "defaults/default_values": false,
  "repo/default_values": null,
  "user_global/default_values": null,
  "global/default_values": null,
  "defaults_global/default_values": false,
  "defaults_user_global/default_values": true,
  "defaults_repo/default_values": false
}

And the three possible values of  [ true, false, null ] are mapped in the user interface into a checkbox for “Pre-populate Records?” :

[cid:30149E97-505A-4445-A61E-F60C56E9F19B at Virginia.EDU]

I’m guessing that part of the problem I’m having is that null and false are both represented by an unchecked box, and that null is ignored, but false isn’t in whatever operation and precedence determines the final computed value. i.e. sometimes clicking that checkbox doesn’t have the effect of turning the operation on, and I don’t know quite how to distinguish false and null from the frontend interface, and I don’t know how those backend values map into the three different places to set the value. )

Some tips or guidance in figuring this out would be appreciated!

— Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library