[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Permissions Model

Alexander Duryee alexanderduryee at nypl.org
Wed Jan 20 17:02:29 EST 2016

We're investigating expanding the ArchivesSpace permissions mechanisms in
order to provide more fine-grained control of user roles.  We were a bit
surprised to see that ASpace uses a custom permissions architecture instead
of an existing library (such as CanCan).  Before we potentially modify the
authorization architecture, we'd like to make sure that we aren't changing
something that shouldn't really be changed.

As such, was there any particular motivation to creating a permissions
model from scratch vs. using a preexisting library?  If there wasn't, and
we implement a library like CanCan in our fork of ASpace, would there be
any interest in us pushing the changes back to the core codebase?

Many thanks,
--Alex

--
Alexander Duryee