[Archivesspace_Users_Group] More admins, more problems

Jason Loeffler j at minorscience.com
Tue Feb 9 17:11:00 EST 2016

Residing at "very small" ArchivesSpace membership level, we don't have a
lot of surplus developer time. But I desperately welcome a general
discussion of how security is handled at the application level, how the
plugin architecture works with regard to authentication, and how to begin
scoping our own SSO/SAML project. Meantime, I'm restricting access at the
firewall....pretty coarse for sure.

Some discussion in the source here
<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/4c26d82b1b0e343b7e1aea86a11913dcf6ff5b6f/backend/Authentication.md>.
And there's the Dartmouth CAS plugin which looks like solid work.

Lastly from the 2010 Technical Architecture Report, probably superseded by
another document....

*During the technical planning meeting, nearly all attendees agreed that
both a local authentication mechanism, backed by data stored in the
persistence layer, was a key baseline requirement for the merged
application. Additionally, attendees clearly stated that the application
needs an abstracted, pluggable authentication layer that allows for
implementers to use a particular authentication system supported by their
institution. With this in mind, much of the discussion did not focus on
providing a detailed evaluation of particular authentication mechanisms.
However, attendees recommended potential support for a number of
authentication systems, such as the Central Authentication Service (CAS),
LDAP, Pubcookie, Shibboleth, WebAuth, and OpenID. Attendees representing
the perspective of information technology managers ranked IP address-based
authentication as an extremely low priority. Use of a pluggable
authentication mechanism would also allow implementers to create additional
modules that authenticate against other single sign-on systems not
supported in the merged application's initial development phases, such as
institution-specific systems.*

JL

Jason Loeffler
Technology Consultant
The American Academy in Rome
Minor Science | Application Development & Metadata Strategy
Brooklyn, New York