[Archivesspace_Users_Group] EAD Checking Web Application now available for general use

Mayo, Dave dave_mayo at harvard.edu
Fri Feb 5 10:55:12 EST 2016

Hello Archivesspace user community,

As of a few days ago, we here at Harvard are exposing a little web application for checking EAD files for errors that will prevent loading or produce corrupted data when trying to add EADs into Archivesspace.  We don't have all the possible errors defined, but it's a starting point, and we're planning on adding all the errors we can find.  At least for now, all errors are things that either stop import or produce unambiguously wrong data - and if and when we add specific local practice to the tool, I solemnly swear to make it optional.

You can get output in either a custom XML format (which is basically raw schematron with some metadata wrapped around it) or as CSV.  I've tested it across all our finding aids, and it should work even on fairly large and complex finding aids (we've got a 15MB one, and it passes through alright).

I'm not sure if it's a concern for anyone, but we aren't capturing EADs put through the checker, except in tempfiles and memory as necessary to process them for output.  We're not setting cookies, and other than apache access logs, we're collecting no information on usage.  No identifying information is being collected via this tool (deliberately, at least).

The tool is available here: https://eadchecker.lib.harvard.edu<http://eadchecker.lib.harvard.edu>.  If you want to look at the code, or take it to customize and run on your own hardware, the code is available here: https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-checker<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_harvard-2Dlibrary_archivesspace-2Dchecker&d=CwMFAg&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=_Mv1dY22K7jvT5MD7xjbvGVzRDOUMhx4WYcnPSIzYnE&m=8hFScwJOhKpTjDm7gsD4OMearg4o5XQ76UlBTO5JUgU&s=9bl2OQLzHOED-CX_BM_iZbRE6TKP5EUtLEVgCMB5Fcc&e=>.  Current docs are basically just sufficient to set it up, but continued work is planned, and contributions are welcome!

The best place to leave feedback, bug reports, or feature requests is the issues queue at https://github.com/harvard-library/archivesspace-checker/issues<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_harvard-2Dlibrary_archivesspace-2Dchecker_issues&d=CwMFAg&c=WO-RGvefibhHBZq3fL85hQ&r=_Mv1dY22K7jvT5MD7xjbvGVzRDOUMhx4WYcnPSIzYnE&m=8hFScwJOhKpTjDm7gsD4OMearg4o5XQ76UlBTO5JUgU&s=_fg3Fd0nvM2I1TLzpbtNffzBJXthmkX5b6aKDSJtq7E&e=>, but I'm also very happy to accept any feedback or requests via email at dave_mayo at harvard.edu<mailto:dave_mayo at harvard.edu>.

- Dave Mayo
  Library Software Engineer
  Harvard University