[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - December 2016

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Fri Dec 2 10:02:06 EST 2016

[ArchivesSpace Logo5.png]

December 2016 Update

Development

We plan to release v1.5.2 of ArchivesSpace on December 8. This minor release will include some bug fixes, performance improvements, and address some minor layout issues in the staff interface. This release will include development work completed by HM as well as pull requests submitted by members of the community. A release candidate is now available for those who would like to test it in advance of the production release (https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v1.5.2-RC1). You can also test drive it on our test site at http://test.archivesspace.org. If you have feedback, please send it to Christine (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) by December 2.

With input from the Prioritization sub-team and information from the priorities survey of members that was recently completed, we are working on a development roadmap that will provide more specifics as to content and dates, but in general you can expect major releases of ArchivesSpace in March 2017 and June 2017. If urgent issues are uncovered soon after a release there may be a minor update to address them. As a reminder, ArchivesSpace releases are cumulative; you do not need to install each release as it comes out in order to install the latest version.

Release Webinar

We're hosting a release webinar on Tuesday, December 13, from 3:00-4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. In addition to specifics on the v1.5.2 release, the webinar will feature information about current activities surrounding the ArchivesSpace program and development planning. Participating in the webinar will be:

*         Laurie Arp, Director, Collections Services & Community Supported Software for LYRASIS

*         Jason Loeffler, Technology Consultant for the American Academy of Rome and Chair, Prioritization sub-team

*         James Bullen, Hudson Molonglo

*         Christine Di Bella, Community Outreach Manager for ArchivesSpace

The URL to join the webinar will be available soon. For those who can't attend at the scheduled time, the webinar will be recorded and available on our website afterwards.

Results of Prioritization Survey

On behalf of the ArchivesSpace Prioritization sub-team:

Thank you to all member representatives who participated in the recent Development Prioritization survey.

Eighty-three member representatives responded to the survey (about 28% of member organizations). A brief summary of survey results follows below. The
raw survey results are attached and cross-posted here <https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5f877lbbfnuwiy/Prioritization%20Survey%20Results_All_160927_edited.pdf?dl=0>

These responses provide critical feedback about the performance, design, and functionality of the ArchivesSpace application and a useful benchmark against which to measure member organization's satisfaction.

Survey results also contribute to planning development tracks and establishing development priorities. As a result of the survey, 18 stories currently in the Hudson Molonglo's development backlog are candidates for inclusion in the next minor release (1.5.2), currently scheduled for December 8. A search filter listing these stories is available to all JIRA users here <https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/issues/?filter=11600>. As indicated in the status column, development on these stories is already well underway. Eight stories are already either Accepted or Delivered and awaiting acceptance testing. *Note that those stories not delivered in the upcoming 1.5.2 release will be addressed in future releases.*

Staffing News

Brad Westbrook's last day as Program Manager was November 30. Brad takes with him our great thanks for his many contributions to ArchivesSpace over the years. He will be very much missed. We are in the process of interviewing Program Manager candidates, but until his successor is hired, please email ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> or reach out to Christine directly for questions.

We are also in the process of interviewing candidates for the Technical Lead position. We hope to have more news on the searches for both of these positions soon.

New Website on the Way

You'll soon see a new look to our website (http://archivesspace.org), which is being refreshed and reorganized with the help of LYRASIS Member Communications. In addition to the content from our current site, you'll also find new content such as an events calendar, blog, and member testimonials. There are also more easy-to-find areas with resources for and about members, developers, and registered service providers. We expect many of these sections to expand in the months to come as our community continues to grow and evolve.

Lastly, while the website was being refreshed, LYRASIS Member Communications designed a new co-branding for LYRASIS and ArchivesSpace to represent the value of LYRASIS' organizational home services. The new co-branding, approved by the ArchivesSpace Governance Board, appears throughout the new site. More information will be available soon.

Updates on the Public User Interface Enhancement project

The Public User Interface Development Group recently shared an updated PUI 2.0 release timeline and some updates to its wiki page:  https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Public+Interface+Enhancement+Project<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Public+Interface+Enhancement+Project>. There is a working version of the new public interface at http://pui.hudmol.com. This is a work-in-progress, and not all features are yet functional, but it provides a sneak preview and a chance to follow the progress as things get close to the finish line. Please contact Mark Custer (mark.custer at yale.edu<mailto:mark.custer at yale.edu>) with questions or comments for the group.

Membership Update

Our new members since November 1 include:

*         Industrial Archives & Library (Bethlehem, Pennsylvania)

*         Susquehanna University (Pennsylvania)

*         University of California Merced

*         Western Washington University

*         The Palmer School of Library & Information Science, Long Island University (Educational Program Member)

As of December 1, we have 309 General members, 11 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

Program Staff Availability in Late December
The LYRASIS offices are closed from December 24 to January 2 and ArchivesSpace program and technical support staff will have limited availability during that time. We will monitor messages sent to ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> and respond to urgent requests as we are able. We wish you a restful and peaceful end to 2016.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.