[Archivesspace_Users_Group] AT to ArchivesSpace Migration

Elizabeth Dunham Elizabeth.Dunham at asu.edu
Wed Mar 4 13:42:17 EST 2015

Hello,

Arizona State University recently absorbed the Thunderbird School of Global Management, which means that we are in the process of adding their collection metadata to our collection metadata.  ASU migrated to ArchivesSpace in late 2013  and put it into full production in early 2014.  Our instance is currently at version 1.1.0 (although I have a request in to update it) and has eight repositories.  Thunderbird is running Archivists Toolkit version 2.0 (I'm  not sure what update).

Basically, what I want to do is add a ninth repository for Thunderbird and migrate the data into it.  I looked over the migration guidance, but it seems to assume that one is migrating into a new ArchivesSpace instance rather than into a new repository.  That brings me to my questions:

1.       Can I migrate data from Toolkit to a new repository in ASpace rather than into a new instance of ASpace?  Is that even a good idea?  I have my doubts, given the potential to corrupt the existing data.

2.       If I migrate to a new instance of ASpace, is it possible to transfer the data to the existing version of ASpace?  I know I can transfer records within ASpace, but I don't know of a way to transition between instances.

3.       Would it be possible/better to do the migration manually?

Thank you very much for your help!

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Dunham

Assistant Archivist